Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Customization :

New script: Links Setup, testers would be nice

Quote Reply
New script: Links Setup, testers would be nice
After spending a long time on the phone explaining how to install Links to someone, I figured that as I was trying to teach myself Perl, I would write a script for the install. Well, I've done that, the script is called Links Setup, and can be downloaded at http://members.xoom.com/lsetup/ .

It automatically downloads (no, it doesn't require LWP, just Perl 5) the Links files (2.0b3) and copies them to your server, configures most of the links.cfg and other settings (like path to Perl) via web-based forms, and .htaccess-protects your admin directory. It can also check for news and upgrade itself, which means it can upgrade to a newer version of Links when one comes out.

It is my first Perl script that I'm distributing, but it shouldn't fry your server Wink, I've tested it on 4 servers (3 UNIX and my Win95 computer, all were running Apache) and it worked. If you use this script on an IIS server by the way, please tell me how it works.

elvii, trialcentral@bigfoot.com

[This message has been edited by elvii (edited December 28, 1998).]
Quote Reply
Re: New script: Links Setup, testers would be nice In reply to
Congradulations on your first script post. Just thought I would ask what VER of links is this for? I would probably be willing to try it for you as a test if it is for VER 1.1 or 2 Again Congradulations.

Bob Wirth
wirthit.com

------------------
Thanks for all the help.
Quote Reply

Quote:
It automatically downloads (no, it doesn't require LWP, just Perl 5) the Links files (2.0b3)

Smile

--Mark

------------------
You can reach my by ICQ at UID# 8602162

Quote Reply
Sorry if as soon as I learn to read I will learn to answer my own questions... It sounds like a very kewl little script and if you are looking for a beta tester I would happily do it for you. Again congradulations on the new script.

Bob Wirth