Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Customization :

Password protect 'Modify Resource'

Quote Reply
Password protect 'Modify Resource'
I just received an email asking information on whether it was possible to protect users from falsely submitting 'Modify Resource' requests by them submitting a password when they submit their link. They would then need to know this before being given access to the Modify form.

I know that this was mentioned on the old forum, but I can't remember if anyone actually got the idea off the ground. Anyone ? Smile

------------------
Craig Antill
10 Tenths Motorsport
www.Ten-Tenths.com
Quote Reply
Re: Password protect 'Modify Resource' In reply to
I started working on it, and never finsihed.

I beleive Andrew Mitcham said that Ed Bownass developed something along those lines, but I'm not positive.

--Mark

------------------
You can reach my by ICQ at UIN #8602162

Quote Reply
I will recommend anyone considering inquiring about this mod to hold-off until we are able to get it to work successfully.

I will post an update here as needed.
Quote Reply
Good luck with the password add on. It is badly needed. I will be checking back looking for any updates.
Quote Reply
I originally quoted you the $100 charge for the mod as I presumed you required it for a commercial site and that is the going rate for custom mods.

It appears this mod has caused quite a bit of excitement, and I am currently thinking of launching it on the Links Mods site I run. There will be a charge, but it will be nominal.

I will post further details here.

------------------
--
Ed Bownass - edward@bownnet.demon.co.uk
Links mods site - http://www.bownnet.demon.co.uk/linksmods/
Quote Reply
The 'Modify Resource' password mod is now working. Contact Edward Bownass at edward@bownnet.demon.co.uk if you're interested in it.

-Andy
Quote Reply
Is there a website where we can download the mod and give it a try?

John
Quote Reply
Anybody thinking of using this mod better be able to fork-out $150 (USD). It's not free and he wants payment immediately even before trying it out. That sucks!

John
Quote Reply
I have developed a password protection for the modify feature, it is unencrypted, but the database is kept with the admin features and so should be password protected.

I will write it all out and post it to a website if anyone is interested. It will be free, but also unsupported (my perl isn't strong enough to guarantee help in all situations.)

Let me know.......

------------------
Billy McMillan
Quote Reply
I'm interested.

Where can I get a copy of it?

John
Quote Reply
Hi I wrote a mod for this. Heres the URL (its 100% Free and I'll help you out if you need any!)
http://net-freebies.com/joey/ppro/
Thanks
Joey Bost
jbost@sheltonbbs.com
Quote Reply
Ok I do have to saw a few words.
1. This is a good idea.
BUT.
It wouldn't work unless it is complete. What I mean is,having a default password so if you have billions of links in your database and someone who wants to update their information and added it before the password field was around, they can get it.
Another thing you need is a password recovery form, where it will email it to you, and maybe have a admin spy so you can see which users requested password recovery.
I think this script right now is useless until more features like above are added.
~ Trent ~ Sorry that I was gone so long for those who know me Smile

[This message has been edited by Trent01 (edited December 07, 1998).]
Quote Reply
First of all it would work, as far as "billions of links" I am truly a Links fan but evan I know that Links can not handle a "billions of links" as far as a default password, when you add a new mod that requries a new entrie in your databases it all works the same way, you will just haft to add that manuly. Anyway back to the "billions of links" if and I mean if you can get billions of links and links can handle them, be sure to give me the URL.
Thanks
Joey Bost
jbost@sheltonbbs.com
Quote Reply
I'm sure links doesn't have a link limit, it would just take a while for everything to work out like the nph-build, and verify.
I'm a links fan too and I know how it works inside out. * just don't know how to write cgi :P but can understand it by looking around *
But trust me, this mod still needs more work before it can actually be really really use full.
I'm not saying it is a bad mod, and is nice that someone actually made this mod and is free.
Quote Reply
I am planning on putting the add url & modify url cgi's behind a htaccess password script instead of dealing with a mod. Also maybe two different versions - one for surfers and one for webmasters.