Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Customization :

Please help

Quote Reply
Please help
I am setting up the script for the first time. I have added the password modify mod to the script. When i try to modify a resource i enter the id and password, the info comes up. Then when i change and click modify i get an error unknown tag:current url. What could be causing this?

also when i try to retrieve my info from the forgot password form. I enter my email address and get a 500 error. I have checked the settings in password.cgi it points properly to links.cfg and is chmoded 755. I could really use some help. Thanking you in advance.

Quote Reply
Re: Please help In reply to
Well, check the <input type="hide"> tags in your HTML, and also check the correct settings in modify, and the only thing that almost everybody forgots (hehe me too) is that you gotta upload password.cgi in ASCII mode!!!!
not binary!!!!
I don't know how else to help you.

Hiryuu Manga Network: El Portal Otaku en tu idioma.
http://www.hiryuu.com
Quote Reply
ok, i have figured out part of it. I fixed the modify error template, that is where the current url error was. But every time i try to modify a link, i get to the modify first. I enter my ID and password. The information comes up properly. I make any changes and click modify and always get the modify error page. Any ideas?

Quote Reply
Well I know I suck at this, but I'm trying ^_^
can you tell me which type of error is displaying?, see ya after Christams ^_^
I gotta go take a shower, and I'm trying to help!
haha I wanna be a perl guru (may Santa Claus will help me)

Quote Reply
the error i get is: link was not found in the database. It shows up on the modify first form, but when i try to modify i get an error. Same thing on every link.

Quote Reply
I have searched for hours with no answer. I see where a lot of problems were worked out earlier. This being one of them. But, it seems the new download of password.cgi also comes with the modify.html and modify first.html templates with all of the fix's in place. So i can not seem to figure this one out.

Quote Reply
I installed the pw mod a couple of weeks back and I've done a bunch of mods since so I've forgotten a lot about this one. I remember I didn't do anything with step 6 and now that I know a little more, I may revisit that step.

When installing a new MOD, I have taken to printing out the MOD and storing it in its own filefolder. I also add any notes, changes, etc to the hard copy. I do not have any notes to this MOD so the instructions and code are OK ( I think ).

I do recall that I had an error or two but I corrected them by going back over the instructions very carefully.

There are a couple of places for errors. Step 1 talks about using the modify.html that comes in the zip file or making changes to your modify.html. I made changes to mine and had to fix a couple of errors. You might try using the zip modify.html.

The modify_first.html is just a scrren to input the id# and pw.

Another place for errors are those lines just before the beginning of step 4.

And I don't think step 7 is a place for errors....even if you forget to do them. I just changed the modify_error.html as suggested. The changes to the add html files were a bit more trickey but they worked. But neither of these would cause your errors.

The other steps are just cut and paste.

All I can say is this was a routine MOD and it works as advertised. I say that to let you know that the MOD does work and that you have made an error somewhere. Sometimes it takes me a time or two to get it right and I have a limited programming background ( just not in PERL, which I am learning, when I get "around to it" ).

Gene

Quote Reply
well, i am completely lost. I am pretty sure everything is correct. I have checked and rechecked. I will try starting fresh, removing everything including links2. Then start back from there. I have used the mod before and it worked. This was over a year ago. There seem to be some changes since. I think links2 is even a slightly newer version. Well, i guess its back to the beginning.

Quote Reply
ok, I have deleted everything and started fresh. It works now! Not sure what i did wrong the first time. This time i did make sure to use the updated info from the password.zip. I think that could have been it. The modify.zip may not be updated yet. I did have one snag though even using the updated stuff. When i first tried to modify it would work and send the info to the admin to validate. But, the modify_success.html page would show an error unknown tag: category. So i changed the modify_success.html to match the add_success.html template which was <%Category%> instead of <%category%>. Now everything works great. Thanks for all of your help!

Quote Reply
Yeah!!!!!
hahahha now let's try to make the verifying MOD ^_^

Quote Reply
Glad it works...that is what I resort to when I've made all the corrections.

as for category versus Category, Perl is case sensitve.

Quote Reply
ok, it was working. I changed the templates to match my site, and added categories to the database. I am pretty sure the templates are exactly the same. The problem now is when i enter the ID and password in modify first and hit the submit button, i get the error:
Title (Can not be left blank)
URL (Can not be left blank)
Category (Can not be left blank)
Contact Name (Can not be left blank)
Contact Email (Can not be left blank)
Password (Can not be left blank)

What could i have done?

Quote Reply
Your modify_first.html file should ONLY contain ID and PASSWORD fields in the access form. There should NOT be two forms in the modify_first.html template file.

Betcha you have two forms? Wink

Regards,

Eliot Lee
Quote Reply
ok, i figured it out! It seems dreamweaver changed part of the submit line in the form on modify_first. Took a while to find that little change.