Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Customization :

Problem With Comments 4 MOD.

Quote Reply
Problem With Comments 4 MOD.
I'm having some difficulties with the Comments 4 MOD.

I want the comments to show on the Detailed.html page. I declaired the comments in site_html_templates.pl but the comments down show.

Can someone please help me out.

Thank

intelllie Crazy
Quote Reply
Re: [intellie] Problem With Comments 4 MOD. In reply to
well, on the detail.html page you could include a link to the comments as follows:

Code:
<%if totals%>
<A HREF="<%db_cgi_url%>/comments4.cgi?function=display_comments&ID=<%ID%>"
onmouseover="window.status=' Read Reviews'; return true"
onmouseout="window.status=' '; return true">Read Review</A>

<%endif%>

You would probably need to set up the sub site_html_detailed just like the sub site_html_link.

Getting them to actually print on the detailed page...OUCH!

Gene
"The older I get, the more I admire competence, just simple competence in any field from adultery to zoology."
Quote Reply
Re: [esm] Problem With Comments 4 MOD. In reply to
Well ESM, that;s how I have it set up at the moment, and it look really ugly that way, I want to be able to include the comments on the detailed.html page.

Please help me out

intellie Crazy
Quote Reply
well, I'm not sure how a link could look ugly but I understand it may not be what you want.

actually including comments on the detailed page may be beyond my capabitlites. But I may work on it. If I get anything, I'll post it here.

someone else may have a suggestion.

Gene
"The older I get, the more I admire competence, just simple competence in any field from adultery to zoology."
Quote Reply
What I ment by ugly is that all the comments are on different page, and that looks ugly.

ESM do you know any other good review/comment MOD for likes 2.0 that I can use?

thank

intellie Crazy
Quote Reply
based on your comments, you are using glennu's comments mod, version 4 (lite or full???).

I believe widget had a review mod but none of his stuff is available. I am not aware of any other although I think there may have been another.

Actually, what you propose is a good idea. So I may work on it. but it may take me a few days, it I can do it at all ( my perl skills are very little ).

Gene
Quote Reply
I'm using the lite MOD.

Ya, if you can do it, I'm sure that a lot of people will be happy with that modification.

Where can I download the full MOD of comments 4?

intellie Crazy
Quote Reply
I don't think glennu ever put that on his website - said it was too difficult to install, as I recall. he just had the lite version for download.

you could try sending him an email but it has been over a year since he has been on the forum

I'll let you know if I have any success...but don't hold your breath on this one.

Gene
Quote Reply
Oh another thing you might now this.

I'm also looking for any kind of SEARCH Mods, anything that I can add to my advanced search page. And also I'm looking for a search MOD that Searches for something with in a category that the users pulls downl from a pull down box.

So it looks somehting like

Quote:
Search in | drop down menu | for | test area | search button

intellie Crazy
Quote Reply
check out http://www.gossamer-threads.com/...;;page=unread#unread. I may need to fix a thing or two but this may be what you are looking for.

Gene
Quote Reply
turns out it wasn't too difficult...

I was using sponge's info.cgi to show my detail info. so in my link.html I had

Code:
<A HREF="<%db_cgi_url%>/info.cgi?ID=<%ID%>">Detailed Info</A>
When the info.cgi ran, it called the detail.html page. To keep things looking the same, I had a call to the link.html page within the detail.html page.

So, I made the following changes:

1. In my link.html: <A HREF="<%db_cgi_url%>/comments4.cgi?function=display_comments&ID=<%ID%>">Detailed Info</A>

2. I copied any variables in the sub site_html_detailed not already in the sub site_html_comments4_display, into the site_html_comments4_display.

So now when the surfer clicks on the Detailed info link, they are not calling the detailed info routine ( or the info.cgi in my case ), but they are actually calling the display comments routine which already had access to the links data.

Took about 5 minutes. I may need to refine things but the hard part is done....

Yours may be different.

Gene
Quote Reply
I'm not sure what you are talking about.

I don't want to link to it, I want the comments to show up on the detailed.html page.

intellie Crazy
Quote Reply
well, somehow, the surfer has to click on a link at some point to call the "detail" page. and that is exactly what the "link" i created does. It calls the "detail" page. But instead of calling the detail page, it calls the commnets what which has the "detail info" at the top or whatever I want to include in the "detail section AND it contains ALL the comments!!!! EXACTLY what I want.

I just had to modify the sub site_html_comments4_display to include some additonal variables.

You can place the link that calls the "details" page any where you want.

Gene
Quote Reply
ok, I did that and it's showing.

But some variables are just not working.. I moved everything from sub site_html_detailed for the comments SUB.

intellie Crazy
Quote Reply
I think I had one not to show but it was a special one.

Which ones did not show up?

Gene
Quote Reply
So far it's <%showdate%>, it's just an adon I got from the forum that will show the date in this format " Monday February 6, 2003. I use it for "Last Updated" field, and the other one is <%category_clean%> that one I use because ther regular tag show the category with the underscores, and this tag doesn't. So that's pretty much it.

intellie Crazy
Quote Reply
add the following to the print &load_template section of the sub site_html_comments4_display routine in the site_html_templates.pl file:

Code:
category_clean => $category_clean,

and just above that you will see my %rec = @_;. Add the show date as follows

Code:
my %rec = @_;
# eliot's mod for showing date Jun 6, 1946
my $showdate = &long_date($rec{'Date'});

Gene
Quote Reply
I did that, but now everything is just messed up, because the template that is use to desplay the details. It's also used to display the error messges when you post a commment, so when I post, it takes me to the detailed page, but it doesn't show the comments, instead it shows the error msg. or that the comment has been added, but now it doesn't show the <%URL%> tag, <%showdate%> tag, <%category_clean%> tag.

Basically what I think I need is when the user submits a comment it takes him to a diffrent template that will show the error msg or whatever else.

intellie Crazy
Quote Reply
Finaly I got it to work. I just made a new template and updated site_html_templates.pl, play around with it, and everything work fine.

Thanks for you help esm

intellie Crazy
Quote Reply
Great! making a new template and modifying/changing nph-build and site_html_templates just a little works fine. Mine worked fine the way I did it...but do it your way may be more flexible.

Gene