Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Customization :

Snap Template

Quote Reply
Snap Template
Has ANYONE had any success with the Snap template? I installed this template on a stock links 2.0 installation. (by stock I mean a base, by the book, no variation install) and this template has soooo many errors. I would like to get it working because I do like the look, however due to all the errors I have no choice but to remove it.

All the errors I cam accross were asked in the forums at one point or another but the answers were, well shall we say, not complete.

Is there a Links manual (other than the installation readme file) or manuals for doing your own templates? Seeing as Links is $150.00 for a commercial installation, there must be manuals?

Quote Reply
Re: Snap Template In reply to
In Reply To:
All the errors I cam accross were asked in the forums at one point or another but the answers were, well shall we say, not complete.
I believe most of the bugs have been resolved in this forum before.

What specific problems have you come across??? If you aren't able to find the answer to your problems via searching the forum, then list the problems you are experiencing and we may be able to help you.

In Reply To:
Is there a Links manual (other than the installation readme file) or manuals for doing your own templates?
Not really a manual...but there are FAQs in the Resource Center (like Adding New Template Files) that may help you.

Regards,

Eliot Lee
Quote Reply
In Reply To:
I believe most of the bugs have been resolved in this forum before
a large number were addressed, however I fail to see them solved.Mad I think the problem arises in the fact that the answers are assuming the recipiants are programmers fleuent in perl. I suspect that many, including myself, are not programmers but rather computer people who have a basic understanding of how to install perl cgi, hence the many reasons why most questions I notice are repated many times in the forum. I followed the instructions with the snap template and all the errors appeared.

In Reply To:
If you aren't able to find the answer to your problems via searching the forum, then list the problems you are experiencing and we may be able to help you.
I had so many - but basically they were thse undefined tag (Date, Special_1, etc. etc.) I ended up deleting any references to these tags to make the code work however in doing so some features end up not working. If there are tags not being defined why are the tags there in the first place? Were these tags used in the template by the origional writer and deleted after? Complete, step by step, and correct instructions from the start would solve the numerous posts asking the same thing over and over again.

It is not my intention to flame over you, it is that I am frustraded searching all the forums back to a year ago, and not finding what I need.

In Reply To:
Not really a manual...but there are FAQs in the Resource Center (like Adding New Template Files) that may help you
I would say again this is what is needed - along with the origional snap distribution file having the code and documentation corrected.

Quote Reply
In Reply To:
If there are tags not being defined why are the tags there in the first place? Were these tags used in the template by the origional writer and deleted after?
It looks like (along with other Template Mods) that the SNAP Template has unique tags that are not relevant to other people's site. This problem should be broached with the MOD Author directly. If there is an email address in any of the files you downloaded, use it to contact the Mod Author.

In Reply To:
It is not my intention to flame over you, it is that I am frustraded searching all the forums back to a year ago, and not finding what I need.
Really? Mad Anyway...again...list your problems and we may be able to help...complaining won't get ya anywhere. I have already offered to help you to debug the Template Mod...But since you have refused to post your problems, I can NOT help you.

In Reply To:
I would say again this is what is needed - along with the origional snap distribution file having the code and documentation corrected.
I don't personally have time for this. Again, contact the Mod Author and tell him that you are having problems with his Mod.

Regards,

Eliot Lee
Quote Reply
In Reply To:
Really? Anyway...again...list your problems and we may be able to help...complaining won't get ya anywhere. I have already offered to help you to debug the Template Mod...But since you have refused to post your problems, I can NOT help you.
Yes really. (and I searched the past 365 days) My problems are the flury of undefined tags (as I stated)- not being a programmer this does cause problems! :-)

ok - I Deleted all my modified templates and decided to do this step by step - here is what happens.

1. Placed html template files in the template directory.
2. Rebuilt links
3. Off the bat - Unkown Tag: Date
4. consult forum (conflicting answers)
5. changed date to Date in the site_html_templates.pl in the global part.
6. Rebuilt links
7. Links page now loads
8. click on catagory with a link in it
9. Bingo! Unkown Tag: Price
10. consult forums
11. Have to delete the price tag from all files.
12. deleted price portion from the following files:
add.html
add_error.html
add_success.html
link.html
modify.html
modify_error.html
modify_success.html

Just so we know what kind of stuff was deleted - here is copies of code that I deleted.

<tr><td align="right" valign="top"><font face="Arial" size="2">Price:</font></td><td><font face="Arial" size="2"><input name="Price" value="<%Price%>" size="40"></font></td></tr>

Cost: <%Price%>

<tr><td align="left" valign="top"><font face="Arial" size="2">Price:</font></td><td><font face="Arial" size="2"><input name="Price" value="$00.00" Size="40"></font></td></tr>

13. rebuild links
14. The price problem is gone. Ratings dont appear on the links? I know I rated it - so lets try and rate a link.
15. Ouch! Unkown Tag: logos
16. refreshed page and it said thank you for your vote! What the hell? Tried it again on a different listing - exact same thing!
17. consult forum (again)
18. See post from You Eliot saying:
In Reply To:
Make sure that you have defined "logos" in your sub site_html_link routine or in your rating routines in your
site_html_templates.pl file.
Sorry but I am not a programmer - you need to elaborate on this. I seen several people asking in the last 365 days - your answer was the only one and it don't answer it for me.

Stuck at this point now.

Quote Reply
In Reply To:
Sorry but I am not a programmer - you need to elaborate on this. I seen several people asking in the last 365 days - your answer was the only one and it don't answer it for me.
Tag definitions have been covered in different contexts like with the 3 Graphics Mod and other modifications.

For the logo problem...you need to define it in the following manner:

1) Put the following variable at the top of your site_html_templates.pl file before the %globals codes:

Code:

$logo .= qq|img src="/path/to/logo.gif" alt="My Site" width="Enter Width value" height="Enter Height value" border="0"|;

Replace /path/to/ to the RELATIVE path NOT your complete ABSOLUTE path to your images directory.

Example:

/images/logo.gif

Replace Enter Width value and Enter Height value with the appropriate width and height attibutes...Should I explain what these are??? Wink

2) Then put the following tag definition at the end of your tag list in the %globals hash section of the site_html_templates.pl file:

Code:

logo => $logo

Then the <%logo%> tag should work in your template files.

In Reply To:
. refreshed page and it said thank you for your vote! What the hell? Tried it again on a different listing - exact same thing!
That is the natural response when you successfully rate a site. If you have changed the rate_success.html to have another message, then you did not upload the current file to the templates in your web server via FTP using ASCII mode. Wink

In Reply To:
Ratings dont appear on the links? I know I rated it - so lets try and rate a link.
You should be using <%Rating%> tag in the link.html file to show the current Rating...Remember that you need to re-build your index to see new Ratings.

In Reply To:
Off the bat - Unkown Tag: Date
consult forum (conflicting answers)
This is a non conflicting answer....

To show the build date of your directory, you have to define the date tag as follows in the %globals hash section in the site_html_templates.pl file:

Code:

date => &get_date,

The Date tag is ONLY used in the link.html file to show when the link was added to the database.

Hope this information helps!

Good luck with your LINKS project.

Regards,

Eliot Lee
Quote Reply
In Reply To:
Replace /path/to/ to the RELATIVE path NOT your complete ABSOLUTE path to your images directory
Relative to where? My cri-bin/links/admin directory? I ask because I made the change you stated and when I try to build I get the following error. (and yes the logo.gif file is present)
In Reply To:
Error including libraries: syntax error at /home/XXXXX/htdocs/cgi-bin/links/admin/site_html_templates.pl line 41, near "$build_css_url logo" Make sure they exist, permissions are set properly, and paths are set correctly.
??

In Reply To:
width and height attibutes...Should I explain what these are???
Oh the satire... I DO know HTML Blush
In Reply To:
That is the natural response when you successfully rate a site.
You missed the question here! the "Thank you for your vote" was what I EXPECTED I repeat.....Ouch! Unkown Tag: logos refreshed page and it said thank you for your vote! What the hell? Tried it again on a different listing - exact same thing! the UNKNOWN LOGO was the problem.
In Reply To:
To show the build date of your directory, you have to define the date tag as follows in the %globals hash section in the site_html_templates.pl file:

date => &get_date,

The Date tag is ONLY used in the link.html file to show when the link was added to the database.
well it WAS as you state here (date) and it gave me the error, I changed it to (Date) and the error went away. What is going on?

Quote Reply
In Reply To:
Relative to where? My cri-bin/links/admin directory?
Uh...the logo.gif file should go in a directory under your <ROOT> directory....like <ROOT>/images/.

Then you simply use the following codes:

Code:

$logo .= qq|img src="/images/logo.gif"|;

You need to use a comma after $build_css_url before the logo => $logo, like the following:

Code:

build_css_url => %build_css_url,
logo => $logo

NOTE: All values in "hashes" (like %globals) must have commas after them EXCEPT for the last value in the list.

Then the logos tag should work.

In Reply To:
You missed the question here! the "Thank you for your vote" was what I EXPECTED I repeat.....Ouch! Unkown Tag: logos refreshed page and it said thank you for your vote! What the hell? Tried it again on a different listing - exact same thing! the UNKNOWN LOGO was the problem.
AS SOON AS YOU FIX THE LOGO TAG PROBLEM, WHICH I HAVE JUST HELPED YOU DO..THEN THIS ERROR MESSAGE WILL GO AWAY!

In Reply To:
well it WAS as you state here (date) and it gave me the error, I changed it to (Date) and the error went away. What is going on?
WELL, YOU SHOULD ONLY HAVE ONE DATE TAG DEFINED IN THE %GLOBALS HASH IN THE SITE_HTML_TEMPLATES.PL FILE!

And it should only be:

Code:

date => &get_date,

AND then the <Úte%> tag will work in your template pages!

Good luck!

Cheers,

Eliot Lee
Quote Reply
when I just put in this part ($logo .= qq|img src="/path/to/logo.gif" alt="My Site" width="Enter Width value" height="Enter Height value" border="0"|;) and leave out the (logo => $logo) part it will build no problem - it is when that (logo => $logo) is added to the globals I get the problem.

Quote Reply
Well...it shouldn't...

You need to define tags in the %globals hash in order for them to work in the template files....

At this point...if you still want my assistance, I would recommend copying your site_html_templates.pl file as a text file, upload the text file to your web server in a publicly accessible directory, and then give us the URL to the text file, so that we can see what you are doing...because you are plainly doing something wrong.

Wink

Regards,

Eliot Lee
Quote Reply
I can tell your getting mad. Relax.

I changed the (Date) back to date as you said to do however the Unkown Tag: Date on the main home page returns. I had to put the (Date) back

The comma worked on the logo definition in the globals hash. Now the logos definition is working which brings the next error. Now when you rate it it brings up the Unkown Tag: color1 error. (I did say there were a lot of unknown tag errors)

Quote Reply
In Reply To:
I can tell your getting mad. Relax.
Frustrated is more like it...and it seems like my suggestions are just wasting both of our time since you plainly do not appreciate the time nor effort I have expended in trying to help you. TongueMad

And I really do not want to spend a lot of time going through each and every Unknown Tag error you receive.

Please do the following:

1) List all the Unknown Tags you are receiving.
2) Then like I mentioned in my earlier reply...copy your site_html_templates.pl file as a text file, upload it to a publicly accessibly directory in your server, and then post the URL where we can find the text file.

If you refuse to do these things...then I cannot help you.

Good luck!

Regards,

Eliot Lee
Quote Reply
In Reply To:
since you plainly do not appreciate the time nor effort I have expended in trying to help you.
I do appreciate the time and effort. I dont think you appreciate the problems associated with this template. When you say to change an item like date and it BRINGS BACK the error, I wonder why? I dont think it is your ability as a programmer, I suspect the problem is in the template. I cannot argue the matter as not being a programmer it is like brining a club to a gunfight:-)

In Reply To:
List all the Unknown Tags you are receiving.
well it is rather difficult as they only show up AS you solve the previous one. How about we say "ALL UNDEFINED TAGS" :-)

Ok, go to http://members.xoom.com/hwu9u90u2j/ - you will see a file called goss.zip in it is my template files and my site_html_templates.pl file. The files have been edited as outlined above in this thread.

Quote Reply
Okay...I have quickly looked at the files...the color tags are being used for table cell colors, which is a bad decision if you ask me to have tags for specific HTML codes like font colors....

The only advice I have as I have stated before is to go through each of the template files and delete all the miscellaneous tags that are NOT defined in the %globals hash in the site_html_templates.pl.

That is the best advice I have.

OR use another Template Mod....although most of them are plagued with unique tags...the only reliable one I know of is the Gossamer Threads Resource Center Mod.

Sorry...that is all I can say!

Good luck!

Regards,

Eliot Lee
Quote Reply
Back again: I started taking out ALL undefined tags (special1, Special_url1, color1, special1, Special_url1, color1, special1, Special_url1, color1, special1, Special_url1, color1, Event_desc, Event_url, news_url2, etc... untill I was so fed up I was about to throw it all away - and go buy some other product.

HOWEVER I did find a post by someone named willdeb who was having a p[roblem with the Yahoo template (also by the same author) -

Ok, in Willdeb's post he/she posted his entire templates.cfg file that has every one of these unknown tags DEFINED in it. Hmmmm..... Here is his templates.cfg file from his yahoo template.
In Reply To:
# -------------
# Links
# -------------
# Links Template Manager
#
# File: templates.cfg
# Description: Contains all the setup variables.
# Author: Nicholas Clark
# Email: ceglobe@ceglobe.com
# Web: http://www.ceglobe.com/
# Version: 2.0b5
#
# Uses Links 2.0 by,
# (c) 1998 Gossamer Threads Inc.
#
# This script is not freeware! Please read the README for full details
# on registration and terms of use.
# =====================================================================
# Stuff that will change the look of all the pages

$build_site_title = 'FishHoo! Search Index for Fishermen';

# Originally a teal color
$color1 = '#a0b8c8';

# Originally a yellow color. Seen on home page.
$color2 = '#ffffcc';

# Originally a gray color. Background for news and features on home page.
$color3 = '#dcdcdc';

# Originally a light gray color. Used as background for the Site Menu on the pages except home.
$color4 = '#EEEEEE';

# Originally a dark gray color. Border around the site menu.
$color5 = '#808080';

# Originally a semi-light gray color. Border around the special links table.
$color6 = '#cccc99';

# Originally a khaki color. Right on top of the special links table.
$color7 = '#cccccc';

# Goes on the right of every page but home page. Links to special pages on your site

$special1 = 'Suggest A Catagory';
$special_url1 = 'http://www.fishhoo.com/fishhoo_suggestcat.htm';

$special2 = 'Contact The Webmaster';
$special_url2 = 'mailto:webmaster@fishhoo.com';

$special3 = 'Recommend FishHoo!';
$special_url3 = 'http://www.fishhoo.com/fishhoo_tellafriend.htm';

$special4 = 'FishHoo! Opportunities';
$special_url4 = 'http://www.fishhoo.com/opportunities.htm';

# Logos - Logob is on the homepage, logos is the small logo on the top left of every other page

$logob = 'http://www.fishhoo.com/fishhoo-big.gif';
$logos = 'http://www.fishhoo.com/fishhoo-sml.gif';

# Near the bottom on all the pages but the home page

$event = 'Try the FishHoo! Open Directory';
$event_desc = 'Trouble finding what you're looking for';
$event_url = 'http://www.fishhoo.com/cgi-bin/pod.cgi';

# Goes on the bottom of all pages

$copyright = 'Copyright © 1999 FishHoo!
All Rights Reserved';

# Right Column on the Home Page

$news1 = 'Trade-A-Trip';
$news_url1 = 'http://www.outdoorsite.com/fishhoo/trade_a_trip.html';

$news2 = 'Find-A-Partner';
$news_url2 = 'http://www.outdoorsite.com/fishhoo/find_a_partner.html';

$news3 = 'Book-A-Trip';
$news_url3 = 'http://www.wheretofish.com/fishhoo/';

$news4 = 'Webmasters Pick';
$news_url4 = 'http://www.fishhoo.com/pick.htm';

$news_more = '';
$news_more_url = '';

# Right Column on the Home Page - Under News Stories

$feature1 = 'Suggest A Catagory';
$feature_url1 = 'http://www.fishhoo.com/fishhoo_suggestcat.htm';
$feature_desc1 = '';

$feature2 = 'Contact The Webmaster';
$feature_url2 = 'mailto:webmaster@fishhoo.com';
$feature_desc2 = '';

$feature3 = 'Recommend FishHoo!';
$feature_url3 = 'http://www.fishhoo.com/fishhoo_tellafriend.htm';
$feature_desc3 = '';

$feature4 = 'FishHoo! Opportunities';
$feature_url4 = 'http://www.fishhoo.com/opportunities.htm';
$feature_desc4 = '';

$feature_more = '';
$feature_more_url = '';
#Top of Home Page

$highlight1 = 'FishHoo! Auctions';
$highlight_url1 = 'http://www.fishhoo.com/cgi-bin/auction.cgi';
$highlight_desc1 = 'Sell Your Stuff';

$highlight2 = 'FishHoo! Forums';
$highlight_url2 = 'http://www.fishhoo.com/cgi-bin/ubbcgi/Ultimate.cgi';
$highlight_desc2 = 'For The Well Informed Angler';

1;
Ok according to the documentation that comes with the snap template, here is what it says.....
In Reply To:
This is the README file for the Snap and Yahoo templates. Here are some directions:

You must first install Links 2.0 onto your server.

Yahoo Template
* Upload the template files into your template directory.
* Upload the templates.cfg and site_html_templates.pl into your /admin directory.

Bugs to Change
* Open up all of the rate*.html files. Change <%title%> to <%Title%>.

Instructions
* To change the look of the site, edit the templates.cfg file, re-upload it, and re-build the pages.

Snap Template
* Upload the template files into the template directory.
* Upload site_html_templates.pl into your /admin directory.

That's All!
I checked the archive and the snap template does NOT come with a templates.cfg file.

IS THERE A WAY TO MODIFY THE SNAP TEMPLATE TO USE A TEMPLATES.CFG FILE????? OR HOW DOES ONE SET UP THE DEFINITIONS IN THE SNAP TEMPLATE???

I ask because after deleting all the unknow tags I find the template about as useful as a bag of rocks in the middle of the ocean.

Quote Reply
Well, I decided to try the Yahoo template. Now the Yahoo template worked without a hitch so I am going with this choice. Too bad though because the Snap template was nicer visually.

Quote Reply
Welp...glad you found a solution.

In Reply To:
Too bad though because the Snap template was nicer visually.
Of course, you could be original and design your own template pages. Tongue

Good luck with your LINKS project.

Regards,

Eliot Lee
Quote Reply
In Reply To:
"Of course, you could be original and design your own template pages."
True. In HTML I never use templates - I prefer to bang it out myself, however I admit that when it comes to this I dont have a clue, and as I said before - no manuals for doing same so I have to resort to a template for now.

Perhaps in the future when I have more time to learn perl indepth....

Quote Reply
All you have to do is insert the "hash" tags like <%FieldName%> in the template files that you create...It is about 90% HTML knowledge and 10% Perl knowledge when it comes to using template files.

Smile

Regards,

Eliot Lee