Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Customization :

Someone has coppied Links to PHP3, its identical! legal issues?

(Page 2 of 2)
> >
Quote Reply
Re: Someone has coppied Links to PHP3, its identical! legal issues? In reply to
Somebody could send me a copy of the script in PHP3 for me to analyze and to see what can do to take advantage of in my multi-user project for links 2.0.

I thank the help.

janio@ingridrocha.com.br

I hate Commercial Softwares. (c:

------------------
By Jānio
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
http://www.brlink.com.br
Quote Reply
Yes,
and thanks to all the lady programmesr out there who did a great job too.

Thank you all
Quote Reply
i have installed the code and it works.. after making a bunch of knick knack fixes all over the place..

btw.. a bunch of you are telling me to email you the script.. i don't want to.. period..

it's not a COPY of LINKS SQL.. it's a HEAVILY MODDED version of LINKS 2! ok.. get that straight..

john marshall.. i beleive he admitted in modding links2.0... i could of made links2.0 sql if i wanted to.. just i didn't want to cause it was a waste of time when i couldof just bought alex's.. *you can't buy time*..

jerry
Quote Reply
ok... did anyone on the board see this from dirtdobber?

Quote:
Yes, I disabled the download at this time pending review from Alex (who has been notified and will be reviewing the script before any other downloads are made)

so please have some respect for dirtdobber's and Alex's wishes and stop asking for the script...

also, dirtdobber or Alex, when the decision has been made, could you post that here?

thank you,
--Tom
Quote Reply
Ok.

But Jerry sends me one it copies for e-mail for me to give my evaluation and to see if that manuscript can me to help in my work, that am doing for a mod of the links 2.0 (that actually I am redrafting him to work with databases of Oracle) if you are able to help me I thank him vastly.

By Jānio
janio@ingridrocha.com.br

------------------
By Jānio
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
http://www.brlink.com.br
Quote Reply
NO MEANS NO.. NOT MAYBE! Smile

jerry
Quote Reply

Quote:
dirtdobber 09-14-99 07:44 PM PST

and have based the scripts on this as well as several other scripts and search engines.

Does everyone remember Dbase IV's legal battle? I sure do. Dirtdobber... The legal notice from Gossamer Threads, Inc. does not define the links 2.0 as public domain. It's a liscensed software free of charge with a few stipulations. Copyright law plays into this now.

You'll have to purchase or neqotiate royalties IF Alex decided to let you use his core code. If not, you need to take it down completely. Otherwise, Gossamer Threads, Inc. has a classic case of copyright infringement against your company.

God, who would have known my college course in Journalism would have paid off in this way! hahaha

The only way you can even remotely have his code is if you quote a portion of the code with permission from the author and give credit to the author by permission.

Hey you know what all? We sound like pecking hens! And we're protecting our lair! haha

------------------
www.webgotcha.com
[b]admin@webgotcha.com[/b]
Quote Reply
lawyers sound so "professional" and yet irritating.. (no offense ;P)

but yea.. i've been looking over dirtsearch's code forever now.. and i could say a few things.. i still do beleive it "was" links.. nothing matches except the layout.. and the text from the original layout.. ie please rate "blah"....... (in rate_form.html)..

however.. the script is only like 10% links.. it's simple and very buggy.. practically like a new start up cgi script..

it is probably very buggy cause of php.. it doesn't look like it can load error templates.. instead it gives you annoying errors in the middle of yours pages saying COuldn't Open MYSQL Table or whatever..

more things that make it look like links is the admin.. the page is obviously cut off of links and had the catgory section of it chopped off..

i do beleive that dirtdobber should have no trouble with distributing this code.. only the layout looks like links.. it does work like links but if you understand the code.. you will know it isn't links..

what i did learn from his code is a bunch of things.. Smile i learned simple PHP3 in 3 hours.. Wink plus i learned how to integrate MySQL into Links2... (uh oh).. and i caught about 17 bugs total in his coding.. hehe

anyways, just put it this way.. HE MODELED LINKS.. just like how Alex modeled cgi-resources..

if i were alex.. i wouldn't be worried.. php is weak.. (well.. it looks that way)..

if you noticed.. you can vote unlimited times for one link by reloading the frame on dirtdobber's thingy.. [hehe]

jerry
Quote Reply
My friends, there is a subject here very important:

Am Eo redrafting the whole code of Links for a version that uses databases oracle, does that mean that I cannot do a commercial version of him? since I redrafted the whole software? that is unjust. Will they do with me the same as they are doing with the version of PHP3 mentioned above?

Is that very unjust, don't you find?

Think a more little before speaking that the people rob Alex's code, nobody robbed Alex's code, like me he also redrafted the version of PHP3.

We should not accuse the people without before to see the real facts.

By Jānio
Quote Reply
Jānio,

Have you requested permission from Alex to modify the LINKS scripts to work with Oracle? Making mods to the scripts in bits and pieces, and adding add-ons, is fine. But if you plan on distributing a new version of LINKS, it would be best to contact Alex to ask for his permission.

I think the core issue that has been raised is intellectual property rights and permission.

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee
Founder and Editor
Anthro TECH, L.L.C
http://www.anthrotech.com/
info@anthrotech.com
==========================
Coconino Community College
http://www.coco.cc.az.us/
Web Technology
Coordinator
elee@coco.cc.az.us
Quote Reply
Noone said anyone robbed Alex's code, if you read more you would've seen the word ripped off as in money. Using Links to create a whole new personal thing is fine, but giving it away, free isn't. People bring stealing templates, and Cgi-resources and crap, but I read Alex didn't see any of the Cgi-resources code, so really cgi-resources - links and links - dirtsearch are two different scenarios.
Quote Reply
I didn't still comment anything with Alex, but I will speak soon to him...

The one that I am angry and with the attitude of some people in accusing the ones that make something of good, if the ones that are only lifting facts, it stopped and it used the time I spend to do something useful, as some new model for Links would be better... but to the opposite they are lifting the people's that give your efforts to improve Links false testimony.

I am redrafting Links because I don't still have LinksSQL, reason if I had it would be less work....
but I intend to distribute a version light free for Oracle... and a full for commercial use that a rate will be collected.

Only that I am not only using links to do that new version, I am using 90% of my original software, that I developed that is much more similar to yahoo than own Links, and the one that I will take advantage of of Links is the area administrative, that very good.
In other words, it will be similar to Links, but he won't have anything of Links.

I hope all understand the facts above mentioned....

By Jānio
Quote Reply
I've already replied to Robert, but just thought I'd post my comments about this here.

Although the program was "influenced" by Links 2.0 (as evident by the Readme, naming conventions, default look), the actual code bears no resemblance to Links 2.0 or Links SQL. I have no problems with Robert distributing this, and have only asked that he distribute it with a default look that does not use the same HTML and Style Sheets that Chris designed for Links 2.0.

Janio, as long as you created your program, and it was not derived from Links or Links SQL, then you are of course free to
do what you want with it. Of course, it's not always a clear cut case when something has been derived, vs when it was created.

If anyone has questions about this, please feel free to email me at alex@gossamer-threads.com.

Cheers,

Alex
Quote Reply
janio..

we are accusing him of something.. (most of us are)..

i did go through the script several times and i do not agree with anyone that says he violated a copyright infringement.. or whatever.. he simply got the idea of making the search engine to look and run as close as possible to links..

i being a coder (new terminology for programmer) myself.. i could make something that works exactly like links also.. it would take some time and it would probably never work as great.. but everything is possible..

now.. about his layout.. you will notice nothing (in terms of code) is the same if you looked through it.. he doesn't use a site_html_templates or site_html and basically prints it out on the page (what php3 does).. he obviously took a shortcut and copied and pasted html off of links onto his script.. but not through the code.. through the browser (or he would have a really jacked up admin cause of all the coding in admin_html.pl..

the third thing is the code is php3.. you may think he took the techniques from links and just changed the perl to php3.. but definately a nono...

the only thing i think was links was his readme.txt and all those headers on his scripts.. the sections are almost the same.. and things..

should he be able to distribute the code? yes.. many will find it hard to run or simply filled with bugs.. some may find it useful and mod it completely to their satisfaction (fixing the bugs)..

all i know.. it doesn't beat links 2 or sql.. even if it does contain mysql.. links2 runs 50 times smoother..

jerry
Quote Reply
Also, I'd ask to please not turn this into a support forum for other products. Wink

Cheers,

Alex
Quote Reply
Ok y'all....for those of you who wanted to play, it's available for download again. I'm not advertising this, but what I'm after is to ask everyone to download it from the site rather than sharing the version you have via e-mail since some noticeable changes were made between the two....as well as a few things fixed. The code still isn't clean, but hey....it's as good a place as any to start. For those who don't know where to go, look at the first post in this thread.
Quote Reply
With all due respect to Alex, I am utterly amazed at what happens when the moderator is not around.

Folks, this is a Links support forum to discuss Links modifications. This is not a forum to discuss someone else's products and whether or not it is a Links derivative work. Let's keep the discussions in this forum specific to the purpose of this forum. This thread is closed and, if I had my way, would be deleted.

------------------
Bob Connors, Moderator
Links Modification Forum
Moderator Email: moderator@orphanage.com
Personal Email: bobsie@orphanage.com
goodstuff.orphanage.com/

> >