Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Customization :

Using antibot in order to prevent "SPAM-submissions"

Quote Reply
Using antibot in order to prevent "SPAM-submissions"
Hi Guys,

I (and I saw also many others) have problems w. bots/search-engine-submissions tools and/or services ab-using our links directories, adding links, that are not at all related to the scope of our directories.Mad

I saw here in the Forum the proposed solutions changing the referer line in links.cfg, but...: a. sooner or later the bots will find a workaround and b. legitimate users could be locked out.

Searching the net I found a nice and free thingy called "Vorras Antibot", a solution similar to the ones used at google.com and altavista.com to prevent automatic subissions.

As I am a designer rather then a perl coder and therefor didnt manage to implemet this nice thing, so I was wondering if some of the Pros here can help, telling the community step by step what has to be done to implement antibot into our Links add.cgi

Find Antibot here:

http://www.vorras.com/products/antibot/

Best Regards,

Citral Smile

Last edited by:

Citral: Jul 23, 2003, 3:41 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [Citral] Using antibot in order to prevent "SPAM-submissions" In reply to
This is like the Captcha project:

http://www.captcha.net

Andy implemented this for LinksSQL:

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/...ring=captcha;#244256

Would be good for Links, too.

------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: [DogTags] Using antibot in order to prevent "SPAM-submissions" In reply to
Hi,

EZ-Gimpy seems perfectly suitable (what is good enough for Yahoo, should be fine for us Cool).

Please indicate a link to a free download-page and provide instructions on how to implement this into Links2.0 add.cgi as I kindly asked im my original post, thank you.

Citral
Quote Reply
Quote:
Please indicate a link to a free download-page and provide instructions on how to implement this into Links2.0 add.cgi as I kindly asked im my original post, thank you.

Laugh , not asking for much then ;)

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] Using antibot in order to prevent "SPAM-submissions" In reply to
Well, I am just asking for a solution for an apparantly not uncommon problem. Do you think it is to much I am asking?! Blush

I thought this is what the forum was made for Smile

Citral
Quote Reply
We use a random code which the bots cannot get around, thogh judging by the logs they still try Sly
Blacknight Solutions - Hosting
Search.ie
Armchair.ie
Quote Reply
Re: [blacknight] Using antibot in order to prevent "SPAM-submissions" In reply to
Sounds great! Can you give the community (and - of course - me as a perl newbie) a lil "How-to"? :)

Thanks in advance - I will have a pint of Guiniess tonight on you, in our local Irish Pub! :)

Citral
Quote Reply
I found the mod somewhere here, so I'd advise you to search the forum carefully. I know it exists, but I don't have the how to or anything, as I installed it a couple of years ago.
Blacknight Solutions - Hosting
Search.ie
Armchair.ie