Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Customization :

adding bannercode to what page?

Quote Reply
adding bannercode to what page?
My final question for today :-)

I want to add a bannercode to my pages, but if I add it to link.html then I get a banner for every link on the page. Ten banners on one page looks silly of course :-) I obviously only want one banner at the top of every link page. What page do I need to add the code to?

Also, if I add categories then new files are being written in my pages directory. I obviously don't have these pages on my harddrive yet. Can I or should I (?) download all directories to my harddrive every once in a while so that I have a backup? If so, can I download EVERYTHING?

And a final question: do I need to chmod a file everytime I upload it or is once enough?

Thanks. Rik.
Quote Reply
Re: [globalinsites] adding bannercode to what page? In reply to
Add the codes into either a header or footer included file.

For more info, search this forum for headers footers.
========================================
Buh Bye!

Cheers,
Me
Quote Reply
Re: [Stealth] adding bannercode to what page? In reply to
How do I do that?
/Jim
Quote Reply
Re: [Jimboat] adding bannercode to what page? In reply to
1. Create a text file
2. Add your banner code
3. Save it as category.txt (replacing category with the category name or ID)
4. Upload it inside the header directory inside the admin directory
5. Go to the admin panel
6. Modify the category so that it has category.txt (the name of the file you created) in the header field.
7. Repeat 1-6 for the other categories
8. Edit the category template so that the header code will be inserted where you want it
9. Rebuild the site

This is assuming you want a different banner for each category.

Step 8 will vary depending on whether you use templates. For templates, place the <%header%> tag in the correct place in category.html and for Perl generated pages move $header in site_html_category in the site_html.pl file.

Note that the header is inside H2 tags by default, which is unlikely to be what you want, so you want to change them to P tags or whatever.

Also see this thread