Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Customization :

i can not install the recommend-it mode

Quote Reply
i can not install the recommend-it mode
i tried to install it 4 times without any luck. is it possible the mod does not work for all servers. did anyone tried to install it and could not?
Quote Reply
Re: i can not install the recommend-it mode In reply to
Can you describe what your problem is?
Quote Reply
when i run from telnet i get this error

Can't find string terminator "__STOP_OF_MAIL__"

i followed the instructions as bobsie outlined them but it's not working for me.
i'm going to take a nap then try for the last time
Quote Reply
bobsie please help me, i have not seen a post for you in a while. are tired of people complaining that you desided not to come here anymore? i hope you are okay
Quote Reply
Well, you can't expect Bobsie to answer all of the questions dedicated to him in this forum to be answered soon. He is busy (I think). Well, I just installed recommend it mod, and I installed it one time and it was indeed, a success. Perhaps you have deleted the __STOP_OF_MAIL__ line, because the script says CAN'T FIND. Emm....change your recommend.cgi to recommend.txt and post the URL here so that we can look into it.
Quote Reply
theguy,

I bet you cut and pasted the script from the web page, right? When you did this, it messed up the format.

The last line needs to be flush with the left margin:

__STOP_OF_MAIL__

Make sure it is on a line by itself and nothing preceeds it.

And no, I haven't decided not to come here anymore. I just was busy with other things for a few days.
Quote Reply
I bet you cut and pasted the script from the web page, right?
yes , how am i suppose to do it?

i was looking at your page yesterday but when i clicked on recommend it , i got a page that tells me you can not do it from here
Quote Reply

Quote:
yes , how am i suppose to do it?

That's just how you do it: copy and paste. What Bobsie meant was make sure the format wasn't screwed up by the copying and pasting.

Make sure "__STOP_OF_MAIL__" is flush with the left margin and is on a line by itself.

The error at Bobsie's site must be a configuration error in the referral checking.
Quote Reply
thanks it finaly worked, one question:
how do you change the size of the text area
for name and e-mail address.
i looked at the form but i can not figure it out
Quote Reply
You have to change that it birdcast.cgi.

Find the part that says:

Code:
#BNB SAYS! Here is the part that draws the page that asks the
#reader to enter e-mail addresses and names. Tailor it to meet
# your needs if necessary.

[This message has been edited by t_dog (edited July 23, 1999).]
Quote Reply
i did find that part but still cannot figure it out. it's not as easy as you think.
it's not basic html thing. it's a programing thing
Quote Reply
Find

Code:
<INPUT TYPE="TEXT" NAME="send_name" size=20>

and

Code:
<INPUT TYPE="TEXT" NAME="send_email" size=20>

and

Code:
<INPUT TYPE="TEXT" NAME="recipname_$i" size=20>

and

Code:
<INPUT TYPE="TEXT" NAME="recipemail_$i" size=20>

Change the size=20 to whatever you want.

NOTE: I already changed the size of these text fields. I don't remember what the originial sizes are.

See? It's just plain HTML embedded in the Perl script. Smile
Quote Reply
thanks it worked. by the way size= was not there originally and that's what confused it. i thought it has to do with programming
Quote Reply
thanks again t_dog!
bobsie i think this is the best mode for links. i think it will double my visitors.
each time someone recommend a site, actually he recommends 2 sites; mine and the other one
just wondering bobsie, how long did it take u to make the modifications?
Quote Reply
Using Bobsie's mod as a guideline, I spent about 4-6 hours working on the BNB Birdcast script to plug it into links.

Only did it yesterday, and can't remember all the changes I had to bash into it to make it work the way I wanted. I'm kinda hard on formatting and such, and our site our 'links' are actual image URLs, and I had to make sure the link that was sent was the detailed page, not the bare image URL... and other such stuff -- like counting the off-site hit on the page.

The nice thing about the BNB scripts is that they are fully released to the public domain to be used and hacked as you'd like. Pretty nice of them. Smile

>> This software is FREEWARE! Do with it as
>> you wish. It is yours to share and enjoy.
>> Modify it, improve it, and have fun with it!

It should be ok for someone to massage Birdcast.cgi into a Links-ready mod easily usable on most Links sites.

Leaving their original copyright notice and the updated notice should be all that is needed to make it legit.

This is one easy mod, since it's all really external to Links itself.
Quote Reply
t_dog,

Thanks but most of the credit goes to Bignosebird for the script. It took me about an hour to write and test the original mod and about 2 hours to go through and rewrite the mod when the new version of birdcast.cgi was released. That counts testing as well. As with most code, it worked fine for me but others reported a few bugs which were squashed, so that adds to the time I guess.
Quote Reply
Bobsie,

I just went to your site, and you still have a problem with the referral checking. I see "Sorry, cant run it from here...." when I click "Recommend this link". I ran across this problem myself, so I disabled the referral checking.
Quote Reply
Or may be Bobsie has not had a chance to change the reffering domain in the recommend cgi file since he has changed domains.

------------------
Eliot Lee
Founder and Editor
Anthro TECH, L.L.C
http://www.anthrotech.com/
info@anthrotech.com
==========================
Coconino Community College
http://www.coco.cc.az.us/
Web Technology
Coordinator
elee@coco.cc.az.us

[This message has been edited by Eliot (edited July 31, 1999).]
Quote Reply
Eeeek! Thanks Eliot and t_dog! I will fix that right away!

All fixed! I cannot believe I let that go more than a month without detecting that. Now I am going to have to look through all my scripts to be sure they are all updated. Sigh. More work to do!

[This message has been edited by Bobsie (edited August 05, 1999).]