Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Discussions :

Links & HomeFree --> managing a portfolio-"database"

Quote Reply
Links & HomeFree --> managing a portfolio-"database"
Hi y'all,

this thread just did move over from the "Links Modifications" forum.

>>Questiontime: Links as portfolio-database-tool...?<<
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/...um3/HTML/002850.html

bjordan and I were discussing about a way to run a database, that allows photographers or artists to add their portfolios.

First we thought about combining Links and DBman, but considering bjordan's input, we decided this would be not quite flexible system --> worst case for creatives Wink

So bjordan thought about a hybrid of Links with Solutionscrip's HomeFree, a script that allows you to run geocities like freeWebspace programm (more on that: http://www.solutionscripts.com ).

So let's continue where we stopped the discussion:

Quote:
One of the most important things is to have a nice and powerful search, that lets you see whether if there is a "food-photographer" close available in your region... So I will have to combine all three of the scripts?!
Wooooohhhhh! That's alot of work with the admin-stuff, and also for signing up.

So what do you think, is it possible to add a nice search option to that? Otherwise it would be quite uncomfortable finding the right photographer/artist for the job you want hom to do.

Sign-up:
Maybe I would need a custom hack so that both scripts integrate well...
Otherwise there are two different ways possible, to run the sign-up process:
1. Artist has to sign up twice, once with HomeFree to get the Webspace for the portfolio and once for Links to be listed in the database...
2. Set-up is handled via completely different form that is mailed to the administrator, who will be setting up everything and then sends a confirmation mail to the artist...

If there is anyone who set up a service like this, I would really appreciate if you could tell me, how you didit Wink

Alex, Bobsie, just a "legal" question:
Do I have to pay for one more license, if I will use Links twice within my website (once for the links-directory and once for the portfolio)?
I know that with Solutionscript's HomeFree that's no problem! I can use it as many times I want if it stays within my site...

OK, discussion is on again...

Quote Reply
Re: Links & HomeFree --> managing a portfolio-"database" In reply to
I'll throw out a few quick thoughts, and expand later if they seem to gel.

#1 -- I'd like reduce the number of admin screens to as few as possible. But I do not see a way to manage both HomeFree and Links from the same admin. However, there was a thread in the Links Mod forum recently that mentioned linking WebAdverts admin screen w/ Links Admin. A similar setup for Links/HomeFree would help a bit.

#2 -- Suppose it was decided to integrate DBman JUST for its search or perhaps to allow user modification? If that's the case, once the initial set-up was done (see TimRyans "Marriage" thread) I don't believe the Admin would have to go into DBman often, as it seems that the great majority of his work would still be done from the Links screen.

#3 -- The two-step application process has some positives, the main one being maintaining Admin authority over the Links posts (and therefore the secondary pages like the portfolios).

#4 -- I've worked out a method that can be used to point BOTH Links and HomeFree --or just about anything generating html-- to the same headers, footers, navigation panels, banners, etc. This is particularly important if you're going to need SSI, because it may be difficult to enforce ".shtml" extensions with HomeFree clients. See 4geeks.com/programs/iframe-layer-reload/

[This message has been edited by bjordan (edited August 23, 1999).]
Quote Reply
One thing I'll point out that is true of both Links2 and HomeFree, if you're going to have hundreds of categories the Admin screens get cumbersome. This Portfolio model does not seem to trip into that problem, at least on HomeFree as the URL of the portfolio on the site might be something as simple as your_domain.com/portfolio/artist_name_here
Quote Reply
To finish the model, there's another piece that I believe will be needed from Links; Multiple Detail pages (more than one Detail page filed under the same link). These would be articles or other non-HTML documents that might be included with the link to the artist's information and portfolio. I have found that many people will take the time to type a great paragraph or two, but will never develop a web page, even if they are capable (and many are not).
Quote Reply
Hey bjordan,

I really like your ideas...!

Please allow me a few hours to think about all the input you were giving!

I just checked the URL you gave -- gr8 !!!

thanx,

Kodak

[This message has been edited by Kodak (edited August 23, 1999).]
Quote Reply
 Frown This is the second attempt to get this message to the forum Frown
My dam... provider just overwrote this page, when I dialed up! Anger!

Well so here we go....

Quote:
#1 -- I'd like reduce the number of admin screens to as few as possible. But I do not see a way to manage both HomeFree and Links from the same admin...
One admin screen for everything would be great, but as it is quite complicated, I think this would be something to do later on - the perfect finish Smile

Quote:
#2 -- Suppose it was decided to integrate DBman JUST for its search or perhaps to allow user modification?...
Actually because of both reasons, with the search being the killer funtion! I don't know how to add a sophisticated search like this to Links/HomeFree...

Quote:
#3 -- The two-step application process has some positives, the main one being maintaining Admin authority over the Links posts
That's a good point, since it would be hard to maintain control otherwise. Smile On the other hand it means additional workload to admin, but well, that's why were there... Wink

Quote:
#4 -- I've worked out a method that can be used to point BOTH Links and HomeFree --or just about anything generating html-- to the same headers, footers, navigation panels, banners, etc. ...
This method is great work. Sorry if I didn't get exactly what you meant, but was it intended for makeing both - Links and HomeFree generated pages - look the same? Please tell me more on that!

Quote:
This Portfolio model does not seem to trip into that problem, at least on HomeFree as the URL of the portfolio on the site might be something as simple as your_domain.com/portfolio/artist_name_here
I think one category in HomeFree will do the job, for Links maybe one category and 5 subcats. Maybe this way I could do a better search by adding "search this category" ?

Quote:
To finish the model, there's another piece that I believe will be needed from Links; Multiple Detail pages (more than one Detail page filed under the same link). These would be articles or other non-HTML documents that might be included with the link to the artist's information and portfolio. ...
Did I get it right:
This should be a possibility to link to existing sites... that feature the artist?
So they may either build agreat portfolio on my site, or just link to their existing pages somewhere else - so they could add their data quickly to the database without doing the work twice?! That's also a nice idea, indeed! It's up to them to decid - I like that...

If you can read this message, then this time upload worked well... Wink Wink Wink
Quote Reply
re: DBman search

It is relatively slow, but it does set up fairly easily. It will work for most small databases, but if I site gets big or active...... Anyway, your Portfolio model seems to fit. I can't imagine link.db getting to be many megs.
==========================================
re: Using DBman for modifications

Should work fine. Links is, after all, a specialized relational database made up of numerous DBman flatfile (categories.db, links.db, modified.db, validate.db). There are also other scripts that will create delimited records from web forms and append them onto any file you point them at. So... it would be a simple matter to slap a record on the end of links.db without going through validation EXCEPT for the matter of updating the ID number file (linksid.txt). DBman does this little trick (its ID file is default.count), so better to stick with the "marriage" TimRyan is working on.
Code:
<BODY
BGCOLOR="#FFFFFF"
TOPMARGIN=1
LEFTMARGIN=1
MARGINWIDTH=1
MARGINHEIGHT=1>

<CENTER>
<IFRAME WIDTH=100% HEIGHT=68 NORESIZE
SCROLLING=No FRAMEBORDER=0 MARGINHEIGHT=0 MARGINWIDTH=0
SRC="http://4geeks.com/programs/iframe-layer-reload/bannerpanel.shtml">

<!-- beginning NO_IFRAME_DROP_DOWN (Netscape) -->
<LAYER NAME="textLayer"
SRC="http://4geeks.com/programs/iframe-layer-reload/bannerpanel.shtml"
LEFT=0 TOP=0 CLIP="0,0,1200,68">
</LAYER>
<!-- end NO_IFRAME_DROP_DOWN (Netscape) -->
</IFRAME>
<!-- SCRIPT TO ADJUST FOR BROWSER DIFFERENCES -->

<SCRIPT LANGUAGE="javascript">

function stoperror(){
return true
}

window.onerror=stoperror

if (navigator.appName == "Microsoft Internet Explorer" && navigator.appVersion >= "4.0")
{document.write("<!-- UNcomment this if you're comfortable with two BODY tags --> <!-- BODY TOPMARGIN=1 LEFTMARGIN=1 MARGINWIDTH=1 MARGINHEIGHT=1 --> ")}

if (navigator.appName == "Microsoft Internet Explorer" && navigator.appVersion < "4.0")
{document.write("Composition altered for Microsoft Internet Explorer 3.x or less...")}

if (navigator.appName == "Netscape" && navigator.appVersion >= "4.0")
{document.write("<BR><BR><BR><BR>")}

if (navigator.appName == "Netscape" && navigator.appVersion < "4.0")
{document.write("Composition altered for Netscape 3.x or under.")}

if (navigator.appName != "Microsoft Internet Explorer" && navigator.appName != "Netscape")
{document.write("Unknown browser type.<BR>")}

</SCRIPT>
</CENTER>
Note that the above will not work as a footer, some code changes are required, but those are briefly addressed on 4geeks page.

[This message has been edited by bjordan (edited August 24, 1999).]
Quote Reply
bjordan,

thanx again...

I think, I will wait a little bit, until timryan completes the marriage of Links and DBman.
Hope this will be the right solution...

Links is just such a great platform for modification! Sometimes it can really drive you mad.

I will try out your header and footer work soon. It really is a very interesting approach.

Finally, should we write down the whole concept of modifying Links to run as portfolio-manager (?!) Wink, or should we wait until the marriage is complete?

Do you know more on licensing stuff here at Gossamer? I really don't know, if I will have to pay if I will run a secon Links on my site - I hope so much I won't, since I will also have to pay for DBman, and since I'm still doing my studies, mony's always short Wink.

Kodak