Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Installation -- Unix :

99% working, but.. new .html are 600 Do I need ?? umask()

Quote Reply
99% working, but.. new .html are 600 Do I need ?? umask()
Just installed Links2 today - works beautifully out of the box. Awesome.

Just one glitch.
All new index.html files in my public directory are created with 600 permissions, even though my directories are 777.

I have to change them manually to 666 so they can be seen. This is irritating. Can I put a umask() command somewhere so the new files always get generated with 666 permissions??

Thanks in advance.
Quote Reply
Re: 99% working, but.. new .html are 600 Do I need ?? umask() In reply to

Quote:
All new index.html files in my public directory are created with 600 permissions

This is odd, since the files should be created with 644 permissions (rw-r--r--).

Quote:
I have to change them manually to 666 so they can be seen.

This is wrong...you should have your index.html files created with 644 permissions.

Out-of-the box, LINKS does this...I think it may be a problem with your server configurations.

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee....
Former Handle: Eliot
Anthro TECH, L.L.C
anthrotech.com
* Check Resource Center
* Thinking out of the box (codes) is not only fun, but effective.

Quote Reply
Good...but you really don't need the unmask codes since LINKS by default sets the permission of built files to 644.

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee....
Former Handle: Eliot
Anthro TECH, L.L.C
anthrotech.com
* Check Resource Center
* Thinking out of the box (codes) is not only fun, but effective.

Quote Reply
Thanks for this.

I am sure you are correct - I have similar problems with other scripts. I will check with my ISP (Demon UK) but suspect they won't be able/willing to do anything!

I have had to add umask() commands to circumvent this issue.
Quote Reply
Thanks for these comments. I checked today with my ISP (Demon UK) who are a bit paranoid about security.

They have confirmed that their implementation of Apache is set to create new files in public directories with a default of 600. Hence this is what happens despite the intention of the Links script.

They tell me the best way to overcome this is to add something like

Code:
CHMOD 644 filename

(syntax probably not correct!) commands at the appropriate points in the script. I am not a programmmer, but can hack the script with a bit of a "guiding hand". Can you advise me where to insert such a command, and in which script?

Thanks in advance.

P.S.

Since then, I have "hacked" into nph-build.cgi and added three lines into the code

Code:
# Crete the new page, and do a bit of HTML work for the main page.
if ($build_span_pages) {

$umask = umask ();
umask (02);

open (NEW, ">$build_new_path/$date$build_extension") or cgierr ("unable to open what's new page: $build_new_path/$build_index. Reason: $!");
$use_html ?
print qq|\tNew Links for <a href="$build_new_url/$date$build_extension" TARGET="_blank">$date</a>: $total\n| :
print qq|\tNew Links for $date: $total\n|;
print NEW &site_html_new;
close NEW;

umask($umask);

$main_link_results .= qq|<li><a href="$build_new_url/$date$build_extension">$long_date</a> ($total).|;
$main_total += $total;
}
else {
$link_results .= "</blockquote>";
}
}

if ($build_span_pages) {
$link_results = "<ul>$main_link_results</ul>";
$total = $main_total;
}
$title_linked = &build_linked_title ("New");

and hey presto, my What's New daily file comes out with permission 664, which is OK. Is there a more elegant way to achieve this?

[This message has been edited by tony_macdonnell (edited April 25, 2000).]