Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Installation -- Unix :

AAARGH HELP NOW PLEASE!

Quote Reply
AAARGH HELP NOW PLEASE!
Okay this is my problem.. I installed my script at http://search4roots.virtualave.net you can find my admin area at http://search4roots.virtualave.net/cgi-bin/links/admin/admin.cgi I didnt password protect it yet until I can get this thing running. Now, I have everything working, generating page etc..except....
For some reason when I add any links to the database it doesn't show them in their category pages.. I downloaded Slick Links Template - No Style Sheets! By: Neil Glazer I don't understand why nothing will show? Please email me directly if you can fix this error or if you know what the problem is.

------------------
Quote Reply
Re: AAARGH HELP NOW PLEASE! In reply to
Okay...Common problem to check for and fix...

Make sure that in the category.html file that you have tags, like <%site_title%>, on separate lines....like:

Code:
<%if links%>
<%links%>
<%endif%>

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee....
Former Handle: Eliot
* Check Resource Center

[This message has been edited by AnthroRules (edited March 06, 2000).]
Quote Reply
I did everything you told me to to check my variables in my templates pages...but still none of the links are showing..go to http://search4roots.virtualave.net click on a category that shows that there are some links in it, then you'll see, it shows to rate and thats it..no link with description. I can't figure out why this wont work... If anyone can figure this problem out, send me a message.

------------------
Quote Reply
Okay..same problem, but different template file...You need to make sure that you have tags in the link.html file on SEPARATE lines....

Like the following:

Code:
<a href="<%db_cgi_url%>/jump.cgi?ID=<%ID%>">
<%Title%></a>

AND

Code:
<%if Description%>
<%Description%>
<%endif%>

Quote:
AAARGH HELP NOW PLEASE!

Can you be more demanding?

BTW: I am starting to ignore Topics like these. Wink

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee....
* Check Resource Center

[This message has been edited by AnthroRules (edited March 06, 2000).]
Quote Reply
Are you saying that I need to check all of my html template files and make sure that those codes are on their own lines? This would mean that I would have to edit every single one. If that be the case, then we could only use an html editor such as note pad etc. and not use frontpage at all right? I appreciate your help, and sorry if I sound demanding, but after as much time as I spent on this, It is only normal to get frustrated.
Quote Reply
Well, the other solution is to download the Enhanced Template.pm codes that are located in the LINKS2.0: Modification section of the Resource Center...then it doesn't matter if the tags are on their own line or not.

REALLY hope this helps. I empathesize with your frustrations...however, demanding people to assist you is less effective than titling your Topics something like "Problem with Slick Links Template: No Links Show". AND since you are using a Mod, the better Forum to post this type of question is in the LINKS MODIFICATION FORUM.

Best of luck!

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee....
* Check Resource Center
Quote Reply
THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! IT NOW ALL WORKS!!!!!!!!!! YEAH!!!!!! (SINGING AND DANCING BECAUSE I'M FINALLY HAPPY)
Quote Reply
Good.

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee....
* Check Resource Center
Quote Reply
Well...Now my jump.pl isn't working.....thanks for your help...I'm going to have to try to figure this one out..i think I saw a post for it somewhere here...
Quote Reply
Well...that one was easy...i figured out my jump problem. The jump.pl file doesn't exist..it is jump.cgi..maybe now it will work Smile see I can do this..I just couldn't figure out the other one.. Thanks again though for your help.
Quote Reply
You're welcome.

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee....
* Check Resource Center