Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Installation -- Unix :

Emails not sending, but no error received

Quote Reply
Emails not sending, but no error received
Hello all.

I'm sure you've seen this question before, but after an extensive search through the forums I still haven't been able to find a solution to get this thing working. I just recently installed Links 2.0 and I have confirmed that links can be added. Subscribing to the newsletter seems to work as well. However, no confirmation emails are sent out to the link owner or the administrator when a new link is added, validated or deleted. If I try to send out an email to all link owners I get a message that the email is sent, but no actual email is received on the user end. I don't get any errors, but no messages are sent out either. Here is the cut and past of the relevant part of my links.cfg:

# Email Options
# --------------------------------------------------------
# NOTE: Be sure to edit the text of the message. It can be found
# in the templates directory: email-add.txt, email-del.txt and
# email-mod.txt respectively.

# Set only ONE of either $db_mail_path which should go to a
# mail program like sendmail, or $db_smtp_server which will use
# a SMTP server. Do not set both at once!

# PATH of sendmail. # SMTP Server
$db_mail_path = '/usr/sbin/sendmail'; # $db_smtp_server = '';

# Email address of the administrator. BE SURE TO SET!
$db_admin_email = 'merrow@randomfandom.org';

# Notify visitors automatically when their links are validated?
$db_email_add = 1;

# Notify visitors automatically when their links are modified?
$db_email_modify = 1;

# Log all outgoing messages? Put the full path to a logfile and make sure it
# exists and is writeable (chmod 666 -rw-rw-rw-). This logfile can get pretty
# big!
$db_mailer_log = '';

So far I have done these steps to try to debug the email:

1) I have tried leaving 'debugging mode' checked. According to the message it says 'email would have been sent' to the email addresses I have added in thus far. I have also made sure that debugging mode is *unchecked* when trying to send messages.

2) I double checked the sendmail path with my server, tried changing it to '/usr/lib/sendmail', '/usr/sbin/sendmail -i -t' and '/usr/sbin/sendmail -i -t username' <-with my real username instead of course. Only '/usr/sbin/sendmail' gives no errors (it says it sends mail with this, but no mail is received and no errors are given) with the other options I get and error message saying there is a problem with sendmail.

3) I've changed the line # $db_smtp_server = ''; to $db_smtp_server = ''; (no comment out) and even removed it completely. No change was seen.

4) I double checked that email-add.txt and email-mod.txt files in my templates directory.

Is there any step I'm missing? Is there an error I'm not seeing? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in Advance.
Quote Reply
Re: [merrow] Emails not sending, but no error received In reply to
Try using the t switch alone with the $db_mail_path var:

$db_mail_path = '/usr/sbin/sendmail - t';

Other than that I would check with your hosting company to see how sendmail configurations are supposed to be configured in your CGI scripts.
========================================
Buh Bye!

Cheers,
Me
Quote Reply
Re: [Stealth] Emails not sending, but no error received In reply to
When I try:

$db_mail_path = '/usr/sbin/sendmail - t';

I get the following error (and still no emails sent):

CGI ERROR
==========================================
Error Message : Unable to init mailer! Reeason: Sendmail was not defined or not found: /usr/sbin/sendmail -t
Script Location : /hsphere/local/home/kdooley/randomfandom.org/cgi-bin/links/admin/nph-email.cgi
Perl Version : 5.00503

Without the -t (Which I've tried both as -t and - t) I get no error and a message that the mail is sent.
As previously stated I have doublechecked the path to sendmail, here's the cut and paste from my hosting company's faq on the matter:

What is the sendmail path?[/url]

Sendmail path is as follows: /usr/sbin/sendmail
*Note - you might also want to try using '/usr/sbin/sendmail -t -f username' if the normal path to sendmail is not working.

I've tried using '/usr/sbin/sendmail -t -f username' (with my username substituted of course) but I get the same error message as above.

Any other ideas on how to get it working? Or, if not, some way to remove all mention to email functions? (I.E a person isn't told that they will receive and email, no link to the newsletter option, etc)
Quote Reply
Re: [merrow] Emails not sending, but no error received In reply to
yea...

Quote:
Other than that I would check with your hosting company to see how sendmail configurations are supposed to be configured in your CGI scripts.
========================================
Buh Bye!

Cheers,
Me