Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Installation -- Unix :

Error - Error including libraries: (Maybe you didn

Quote Reply
Error - Error including libraries: (Maybe you didn
I've set up the script, triple checked paths and permissions, but still nothing. Whenever I go to the admin.cgi It prompts me with a download box and when I open the file, instead of downloading it, it displays:

Error including libraries: (Maybe you didn't strip carriage returns after a network transfer?)

The server I'm on has Perl 5.004.
I'd really like to try out this script, the next step is the $750 one from Interactive Web, I don't really want to take that step, but if it means getting things up and running, I will.
Any ideas ?
Thanks in advance.

Quote Reply
Re: Error - Error including libraries: (Maybe you didn In reply to
That means that you did not upload the files in ascii. ALL files need to be in ascii (and make sure your FTP client isnt set to Auto mode)

--mark

Installation support is provided via ICQ at UIN# 53788453. I will only respond on that number.
Quote Reply
Nope, that's not the problem bud. I've uploaded the script 3 times now, everytime making sure that the transfer was ASCII. The funny thing is that this is a very common and somewhat unique glitch with this script. I've installed several scripts before this one, and never had this error before. But when I did a search in Altavista I had several sites come up with this error, most using the links script. I've read through many other posts on this board relating to this topic, and even changed FTP clients thinking that might be the problem - nope. If anybody has any experience at all with this particular error, I'd really appreciate the help.
You can view the error here :
http://www.cdnsearch.com/cgi-bin/links/admin/admin.cgi

Thanks,
Kevin

Quote Reply
Yes that is the problem. There is NO other cause for getting that error message.

EVERY file must be done in ASCII and not Auto mode.

--mark

Installation support is provided via ICQ at UIN# 53788453. I will only respond on that number.
Quote Reply
What I can't understand Mark, is the fact I've installed 3 other scripts other than this one over the past couple of days all using the ASCII setting in Cute ftp. Now if I wasn't uploading them in ASCII they wouldn't work either (you would think??) But they are working fine. I have taken the setting off of auto and put it strictly to ASCII for all of them, why would the links script react any differently than any of these other ones ?
Is it a possible server setting ? It's a new server to me, and this is the first script I've tried installing on this one. Is it possible they forgot to "flip" a switch somewhere when they set up my account ?

Quote Reply
Because in auto mode, the program doesn't know how to react to the .cfg file, and the .db files etc, so it uploads those in binary. Links uses more than just .pl and .cgi. and since they are not defined in the ftp client, ASCII must be explicitly stated.

Beleive me, there is no other cause for that error message than files not being uploaded in ASCII. I've installed literally hundreds of times since Links was 1.0 beta.

I can't tell you how many times people have insisted they have uploaded in ASCII and get that error message. The give me their FTP info, I go in, click on ASCII, upload right over their files and do NOTHING else, and it works.

--mark

Quote Reply
Well Mark, I don't know what to say, you are the expert here, but I don't know what else is physically possible here. After posting my last reply this morning I completely deleted the script from the server and reinstalled it thinking that maybe I missed something, and definitely had the default set to ASCII, as I know for a fact I've had the default set to ASCII for the last 2 installations as well and I don't know of any other way to force the transfer in ASCII.
Even to make sure that it wasn't the ftp software or the server, I uploaded another script to the server, and it worked perfectly (other than a mistake in the path to Perl, but that was quickly fixed).

What ftp software do you use ?

I'm seriously at the end of the line here if that is the problem(ASCII) because I don't know what else can be done.

Maybe I'll try the software your using. I can't think of any other way to guarantee the ASCII upload ???

Thanks for your help.

Quote Reply
Im using ws_ftp le. Give that a try. If it doesn't work, email me your ftp info and I'll give it a whirl.

--mark

Quote Reply
Well good news for a change. It was a problem with the ftp programs I was using. I used ws_ftp and uploaded the files again. This time it worked ! Thanks Mark. except..... I get an empty frameset document in the admin area and I can't figure out where the configuration could be wrong or am I missing some files ?

Thanks again Mark, sorry I doubted you, I've never had a script problem be a result of the FTP software I was using. It's one to add to the scrapbook. :)

Quote Reply
Empty frameset? That's one I don't recall. Possibly a wrong configuration in links.cfg (path or url), or permsisions on directories/files are not all correct?

--mark

Quote Reply
Thanks again Mark, things are working well for now. It was a brain dead configuration mistake in the links.cfg
Really appreciate all your help.