Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Installation -- Unix :

Links 2.0 and Fetch - Mac Installation

Quote Reply
Links 2.0 and Fetch - Mac Installation
There is a trick to installing Links 2.0 from a mac computer. Actualy the trivk is to upload all the files as ascii text using Fetch or any other mac ftp.

All the files except the ones that have the extension .pm will upload just fine as ascii text as a default when using fetch, but the file that have this .pm extension ( there are 3 files in the admin directory , all the files in the HTML directory and LWP directory which are both in the admin directory) they just can't be uploaded as ascii text, even if you try it you won't be able to do it , becasue you can't even select ascii text as an option. So what you have to do is.... open each file in BBedit and save it as - the same exact name - save it on top of the old one. After you did this with EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THE .pm FILES youu can upload them using Fetch as you would upload any other file.... they will be uploaded as ascii text for sure....

If you do this you will not get the carriage error message when trying to build the pages....

have fun and email me for more help.

------------------
www.organizedchaos.net
Quote Reply
Re: Links 2.0 and Fetch - Mac Installation In reply to
Ack, you've got to be kidding? Surely Fetch must have a switch to just send in either ASCII or BINARY? It shouldn't have to depend on file extension? Even the most basic ftp program can do this (win95 ftp from command line!).

Cheers,

Alex
Quote Reply
Here's my problem: Fetch won't let me upload either .pm or .db files as ASCII. Like you said, there wasn't the option to do so. I even tried changing the suffix mapping to text but that didn't work either. I did try opening them with BBedit but they didn't show up in the files to be opened. I also tried simple text but the files didn't show up in that window either. When I simply click on the file I get an error message stating the file has an unknown compression scheme.
Quote Reply
Ahh..fixed the problem. I used Anarchie to upload instead.

[This message has been edited by Clara (edited March 15, 1999).]