Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Installation -- Unix :

Links CGI delaying answers on my server, please a pro read this messages

Quote Reply
Links CGI delaying answers on my server, please a pro read this messages
Hi all,
LINKS will be the heart of my site.
I have my own dedicated server, but ALL cgi-scripts are answering slowly. I mean there is always a delay of 2-3 seconds before the server starts to returning the answer to the user after he clicked on any CGI link, which is not the case with HTML pages which are returned immediately.

This delay is NOT due to traffic, as I'm still the only visitor to my site.

I'm wandering if there are any variable in the LINUX system files to reduce the cgi delay before returning data ? If yes, please tell me what to do; there are no reasons why I should pay a dedicated server if its CGI answers are slower than on a shared server !!

Thanks a lot
Paul
Quote Reply
Re: Links CGI delaying answers on my server, please a pro read this messages In reply to
Could you please post some of the info (or e-mail it to me) about your server.

Linux (brand?, version?)
Webserver and version
Perl version
approx. hardware configuration

Thanks~
Quote Reply
Re: Links CGI delaying answers on my server, please a pro read this messages In reply to
Sure:

The server is a RAQ server.

The SimpleRaQ uses a QED (Quantum Effect Design) MIPS processor running at 150MHZ.
16 meg ram (I'm still the only one accessing the site so the slowness shouldn't come from the little ammount of ram)

The RAQ runs RedHat Linux 2.0.34

Apache 1.3

Perl 5.004

Thanks for your Interest !

Paul
Quote Reply
What sort of response times do you get when running through telnet? Is it just Links CGI or is it all CGI? For instance, try:

#!/usr/local/bin/perl
print "Content-type: text/plain\n\n";
print "Hello!";
# ------------------------------

How long does that take?

Cheers,

Alex