Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Installation -- Unix :

Mail Problem (Still!! :(()

Quote Reply
Mail Problem (Still!! :(()
Hiya! I am still having the problem with anything being mailed out. Nothing (not the newsletter, add, modify, or link owner emails go out.) I have checked the path to sendmail (/usr/sbin/sendmail) from virtualave.net many times and it is correct. Other virtualave users say they have no problem. If possible (begging here now!) could I possibly give somebody my ftp server info and if they could look at the scripts and tell me if I did something wrong?? If you are willing (really begging now!!) I would also ask for references (such as alex and mark) to make sure your not going to hack my website! LOL

Please let me know!! Thanks a lot!

Joseph Gruber
AACPreVet@aol.com
Quote Reply
Re: Mail Problem (Still!! :(() In reply to
First of all, don't give your FTP information to anyone even if you do think you can trust them. You never know what people are going to do with your account. There are lots of people out there that could get you in trouble with your ISP if they had access to your server.

As for your problem... post a copy of your links.cfg file as a plain text file in a publicly readable directory so that someone can look at it.
Quote Reply
Fine Smile) Here is the link then if you can take a look at it...I'm sure nothing is wrong with links.cfg though. I believe it would have to be one (or a comb.) of the other scripts:

http://linksgalore.virtualave.net/links.txt

Thanks!

------------------
Joseph Gruber
http://linksgalore.virtualave.net

~To be or not to be...which is better?~
Quote Reply
Joseph,

The only thing I can find is:

Code:
# Log all outgoing messages? Put the full path to a logfile and make sure it
# exists and is writeable (chmod 666 -rw-rw-rw-). This logfile can get pretty
# big!
$db_mailer_log = '';

By default, admin_html.pl, in conjunction with Mailer.pl, tries to write a duplicate copy of the message to go out to the log file. However, the log file is written to after the email has been sent and, if it cannot be written to, would return an error message in the browser.

Are you getting any error messages at all?

How do you know that the messages are not going out? Since you have no log file, you would have to be a Cc or Bcc recipient to know if the email was sent (other than the success screen).

Are email-add.txt, email-del.txt, and email-mod.txt in your template directory? And are they named with the hyphen instead of an underline (i.e., Links originally had them as email_add.txt, etc.). Those files are used even though you are not configured for templates.

Just some thoughts, trying to help.

------------------
Bob Connors
bobsie@orphanage.com
www.orphanage.com/goodstuff/
goodstufflists.home.ml.org/

[This message has been edited by Bobsie (edited February 03, 1999).]
Quote Reply

Quote:
By default, admin_html.pl, in conjunction with Mailer.pl, tries to write a duplicate copy of the message to go out to the log file. However, the log file is written to after the email has been sent and, if it cannot be written to, would return an error message in the browser.
Are you getting any error messages at all?

I do not recieve any error messages and I have intentinially(sp?) left that blank because I don't want a log file. The mails seems as if they are going out. I get the message: "Mail successfully sent to: USERXXXXX@AOL.COM" but nothing ever arrives.

Quote:
How do you know that the messages are not going out? Since you have no log file, you would have to be a Cc or Bcc recipient to know if the email was sent (other than the success screen).

I have three seperate email address of mine I am using when I add, and signed up for the links newsletter. Nothing comes to me. Frown

Quote:
Are email-add.txt, email-del.txt, and email-mod.txt in your template directory? And are they named with the hyphen instead of an underline (i.e., Links originally had them as email_add.txt, etc.). Those files are used even though you are not configured for templates.

I have them all in my templates directory and all of them are are named properly.

Quote:
Just some thoughts, trying to help.

Any other suggestions?? Anybody else?? Thanks! Smile
Quote Reply
Hiya!! Guess what?? I just tried two new non-aol emails and guess what?? They work!! It seems as if you have AOL (btw..i allow all email so don't post that!) that you don't get any mail. I'm going to post this in Links Beta as a MAJOR BUG. Thanks!
Quote Reply
I'd post it to the Customer Service/Support section of AOL if I were you. Mail that is received everywhere except AOL sounds like a problem at AOL not with Links.

------------------
Bob Connors
bobsie@orphanage.com

Quote Reply
It would not be at AOL's end....I recieve email from everywhere else except my Links. I recieve it from this board so that means something is right. But I don't recieve it from links. If aol did block it that would be censorship and i'm positive they don't do that. Smile
Quote Reply
No offence meant so please don't take it.

Quote:
If aol did block it that would be censorship and i'm positive they don't do that.

Take a look here and you will see differently.
www.aolsucks.org

You may be amazed as I was

------------------
Thanks in Advance

Daniel J.
www.blackrose.net
webmaster@blackrose.net

Quote Reply
On the other hand, AOL doesn't receive it but every other site does. To me, that points to AOL as the culprit. Remember, all their mail stuff was done in-house. None of it is standard internet mail as most ISPs have. All the online services that jumped on the internet bandwagon are that way. None of them have true internet software. They write the software in-house to interface with the internet.

I am not claiming, and never did, that AOL would censor your mail (although they have been accused of that before). It may be just a simple bug on their end. My recommendation to bring it to the attention of the customer service or help desk people at AOL remains.

Look at it this way. Links runs through an internet standard program to send mail; either sendmail or and smtp server is used. There is no way that Links can be at fault for the mail not being delivered. There is no bug in Links in this regard. The mail wouldn't be received anywhere if there were a Links bug.

It has either got to be AOL or something wrong on your ISPs end. Links doesn't send the mail. The ISP's software does that. Likewise, AOL receives and processes the mail. One of the two is not doing it right and, since you do receive mail outside of AOL from Links, I would suspect AOL. As Mr. Spock would say, "It's quite logical!"

One more thing. It doesn't mean a thing that you receive mail from this UBB. This UBB is on a different system than your Links is. So, there is no correlation between the two.
------------------
Bob Connors
bobsie@orphanage.com

[This message has been edited by Bobsie (edited February 03, 1999).]
Quote Reply
First off if you want to talk about AOLSUCKS.org you will want to email my privately. There is a lot of lies and B.S. in that webpage and in case you hadn't noticed it hasn't been updated in a year and a half.

Secondly, when i send mail to myself (webmaster@linksgalore.virtualave.net). It goes to the server who then forwards it to my AOL address. Seeing how I am recieving it I don't see how it could either be my ISP's or my AOL? The mail gets sent to my ISP and the ISP handles it properly and sends it to aol. I then get a message at my aol mailbox from webmaster@linksgalore.virtualave.net So I cannot see how it would be either's fault?
Quote Reply
Okay, here's what I found out from AOL. I just talked to my inhouse representative at AOL HQ and she found out that virtualave.net was not on the list of junk mail providers so it is not blocked. She also took it to an AOL tech and he said seeing how I was recieving mail from my webmaster@linksgalore.virtualave.net account then I should have been recieving the other mail. This only points to two problems then....the sendmail program or the links program? I am going to email virtualave and see what they have to say today.