Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Installation -- Unix :

Old Links 1.11 how to disable jump.cgi?

Quote Reply
Old Links 1.11 how to disable jump.cgi?
Well I have been using the 1.11 with 1.11a jump.cgi for some time now and still have the problem of the url.db going empty on me on a regular basis and haven't been able to pinpoint a cause, though it does seem to occur whenever the server I am on has technical problems. Anyway, I have tried installing 2.0 and it is evident I have hit my "geek-ability threshold" because I get one error after another and trying to find all the reasons why is making my head spin...so phooey on it, I'll stick with 1.11 Smile But I would like to know how to disable the jump.cgi and I surmise the hit counter as well? I guess they are not things I really need..but will turning off jump.cgi cure the empty url.db issue?

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Old Links 1.11 how to disable jump.cgi? In reply to
Ok, seems nobody would like to answer that question. Could somebody please tell me then what file it is that I need to alter and I will try to figure it out from there.

The readme file for 1.11 states:
"jump.cgi - Not required, but this script tracks how many times a link
has been clicked on. It only counts one link per IP address per six hours.
If you don't care about this, a quicker way would be to just display the URL.
It is called by passing in the key name and key value of the link to go to.". But it doesn't say just where to go to do that.
Yes I have read though the forum and I know there was mention about this in passing in a post long ago but since it seems there is no longer an archive of the really old posts, I am unable to locate it again.
I really need help with this because I can't even leave my site unattended for a weekend because url.db regularly corrupts.
Quote Reply
Re: Old Links 1.11 how to disable jump.cgi? In reply to

Quote:
$output = qq|
<ul type=disc><li><$font><a href="$build_jump_url?$db_key=$rec{$db_key}">$rec{'Title'}</a></font>|;

Change the above to read:

Quote:
$output = qq|
<ul type=disc><li><$font><a href="$rec{'URL'}">$rec{'Title'}</a></font>|;

You can find it in site_html.pl, sub site_html_link.

I hope this helps.