Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Installation -- Unix :

SSI w/ add/search.cgi

Quote Reply
SSI w/ add/search.cgi

Can anyone help me add SSI banners to add.cgi/search.cgi? My webserver requires html files to be .shtml to use ssi so i need help adding ssi intergrating ssi into Links2. I'm currently using adman (server banned webadverts) Please help ASAP since most people use search engine to find links so thats where most banners views will be.
Quote Reply
Re: SSI w/ add/search.cgi In reply to
I was trying to figure out the same thing. My understanding is that you cannot use a stadard SSI call from within another Perl/CGI program (which is what the add and search pages are, even though they are a static shtml/html page...?). That last part keeps me thinking that there must be some way to work SSI into the finished product.

What I have done, in lieu of SSI on those pages, is hardcode several of my more applicable banners into those pages. Hopefully, they won't become too redundant, but does anyone really look at them, anyway? Smile

One additional way around the problem is to create a javascript random switcher for the banners. I have it on several pages for the book covers on the right side. I just didn't feel like doing it for the banners, as well.

The downside to either of these methods, aside from flexibility (actually the javascript doesn't lose much, as the data can be placed in an external javascript and called in to even the cgi pages), is that you cannot track banner statistics. Frown Not a big concern of mine, but I haven't yet made a penny off my website (I was up to $8 with ClickAgents, but they cancelled me).

Best of luck with whatever method you end up with. I'll continue to try and work the SSI into the CGI pages... I believe BannerMaster has a feature that incorporates the banner rotation into other CGI scripts, but that program is so rediculously complex and user un-friendly that I gave up on it.

Dan

------------------
My links are at: http://www.dankaplan.com/runninglinks
Quote Reply
Re: SSI w/ add/search.cgi In reply to
You can count banner clicks but using ClickCount from staff.net. I will try to get webadverts lastest version working with script. I just gotten figure out where to put the webadverts ssi sub. I'm thinking about site_html.pl or link.cfg or try every script to get it working