Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Installation -- Unix :

TAGS not showing up

Quote Reply
TAGS not showing up
I did a search for "build" and "tag" to find this answer, and it was almost answered once, but the guy figured out his problem before the question was answered.

Anyway, when I build my pages, the main search index is not filling in its tags. They just say <%site_title%> or whatever.

Can you point me in the right direction? Which file is likely to be the problem culprit? :P Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: TAGS not showing up In reply to
Have you set your site title?

In links.cfg there is a setting around line 136 for the site title:

$build_site_title = '';

This is later referenced when building the pages and search results, etc.

$build_site_title = 'Your site title here';

Hope that helps.

All the best
Shaun
------------------
Shaun Hague
Webmaster - Qango.com
www.qango.com/central/

[This message has been edited by qango (edited March 25, 2000).]
Quote Reply
It's not just my title that isn't coming up; it's ALL tags on the main search page.
Quote Reply
Could you post the URL for the page you're having trouble with?

All the best
Shaun

------------------
Shaun Hague
Webmaster - Qango.com
http://www.qango.com/central/
Quote Reply
Again...this is a recording...

Make sure that your tags are on separate lines in your template files, like the following:

Code:
<%if links%>
<%links%>
<%endif%>

-OR- download the codes from the Enhanced Template.pm Mod in the Resource Center, and put them in your Template.pm file, which wil allow you to have tags on the same line, like the following:

Code:
<%if links%><%links%><%endif%>

Wink

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee....
Former Handle: Eliot
* Check Resource Center
Quote Reply
http://www.mommyguide.com/linksearch/pages/SearchIndex.html

That's the URL. I don't understand what he means by "in the template files"..the .html files in the templates folder? or the template.pm file? or something else?
Quote Reply
IN YOUR TEMPLATE FILES in YOUR TEMPLATE DIRECYTORY.

Wink

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee....
Former Handle: Eliot
* Check Resource Center
Quote Reply
Hello, Shana !

I look it page. Is You sure what it page was be builded Links?
I think it simply template.

------------------
Best Regards,
Alex
Cgi installation service
http://web-surf.virtualave.net/cgi-install.html
http://www.perl-manual.com
Quote Reply
I took a look at the URL.

First thing I found was that your category pages are being built as 'SearchIndex.html', these need changing to 'index.html' otherwise the category links won't work.

Edit your links.cfg file and find the following section:

# The name of an index file.
$build_index = "SearchIndex.html";

... change it to ...

$build_index = "index.html";

(Don't forget to upload it and do a re-build after you've changed it!)

This will hopefully solve part of your installation problem Smile

For help with the templates, visit the Resource Center - there's a link to it at the top of the forum (under the Gos' Thread logo)

All the best
Shaun

------------------
Shaun Hague
Webmaster - Qango.com
www.qango.com/central/

[This message has been edited by qango (edited April 01, 2000).]
Quote Reply
Thank you Shaun. I was just going to ask why my category links weren't working..your suggestion cleared that right up!

About the TAGS problem though...I ended up redownloading Links and copied the "Templates" directory that Anthrorules brought up. I uploaded the new "Templates" directory and deleted the one I had. This cleared up my TAGS problem.

However, now if I try to edit any of the "Templates" .html files in order to get Links to look like my website I have that TAGS problem again. All I did was try to change the font to "AdLibBT" and when I edited the home.html and search.html Template files, it made those darn TAGS reappear instead of the actual words I wanted to see. I would also like to change the block backgrounds of the headers from black to teal.

The links.cfg file suggested editing the Templates files, but this is what causes my TAGS error. Any suggestions?

But thank you, thank you about the "index" thing!
Quote Reply
Thank you Shaun. I was just going to ask why my category links weren't working..your suggestion cleared that right up!

About the TAGS problem though...I ended up redownloading Links and copied the "Templates" directory that Anthrorules brought up. I uploaded the new "Templates" directory and deleted the one I had. This cleared up my TAGS problem.

However, now if I try to edit any of the "Templates" .html files in order to get Links to look like my website I have that TAGS problem again. All I did was try to change the font to "AdLibBT" and when I edited the home.html and search.html Template files, it made those darn TAGS reappear instead of the actual words I wanted to see. I would also like to change the block backgrounds of the headers from black to teal.

The links.cfg file suggested editing the Templates files, but this is what causes my TAGS error. Any suggestions?

But thank you, thank you about the "index" thing!