Gossamer Forum
Quote Reply
Templates
When I open the templates area in the Adminstration Terminal, all of my templates are black. Is this supposed to be this way? Also. How does the templates work exactly. Are they HTML wrappers? Meaning any HTML I type in there will wrap around the Script. How do I change the look and feel of the outputted pages?
Quote Reply
Re: Templates In reply to
I'm not sure why you would see all of your pages black through the admin interface.

Since I've asked plenty of questions about the templates, I'll offer a quick answer now that I more or less understand them. Smile

Assuming you use site_html_templates.pl (as opposed to site_html.pl), the templates are precisely what is output from the build. By customizing the HTML and the <%tags%> (the tags are declared in site_html_templates.pl or templates.cfg, depending on which templates you use) in the templates, you change the look of the page. They may take longer to change all of the files than to change the one non-template file, but I think they're much easier to follow the design of.

Oh yeah, if you are using the standard templates, they also incorporate css. Personally, I think this is just extra confusion to the beginning Links-ster, but I'm sure many will argue for their flexibility. Thus, you have one more configuration file to play with!

Hope that helped somewhat.

Dan

------------------
My links are at: http://www.dankaplan.com/runninglinks

[This message has been edited by Dan Kaplan (edited April 21, 1999).]