Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Installation -- Unix :

Three questions about installation

Quote Reply
Three questions about installation
I have three questions about installing Links:

1. My cgi-bin is in parallel with my home directory

ie. home directory ../www.me.co/docs
cgi-bin ../www.me.co/cgi-bin

Would anyone have an idea what the *URL* of my cgi-bin should be? (Haven't asked my ISP yet)

2. How do I password protect the admin directory? - my ISP tell me they can't help on this one

3. I have over 1000 links to add into the database once I've installed it, currently as an Excel file. Is there any way that I can ge these into the database except maunally one by one (I'm dial-up access in the UK, my phone bill is already HUGE)

Thank you in advance for any advice,

Anna
Quote Reply
Re: Three questions about installation In reply to
1/ Ask your isp about the path to cgi-bin from your webpages as it depends on their virtual setup.
2/htaccess is the way to passsword protect and you`ll find info in the resource section, if you cant ther is an admin lockdown mod.
3/you can convert an excel file into a pipe deliminated file within excel, have a look around your programme i know its in there somewhere, links uses a pipe deliminated file, but this conversion can give problems if the last field in your excel file is blank or empty.
Quote Reply
Re: Three questions about installation In reply to
Thanks, I've now got it installed and it appears to be working fine (see what you mean about problems with pipe delimited files though)

Anna J-L