Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Installation -- Unix :

To ALEX or MARC: Old 0.9 version: Permissions 777, 755, ...Madness!!!

Quote Reply
To ALEX or MARC: Old 0.9 version: Permissions 777, 755, ...Madness!!!
Yes Alex it is the version 0,9.

The thing is I am changing the stuff from one machine to the other and the new one is a LINUX and I have problems with permissions.

I never have that problem thats why I never change version. To avoid complications.

Now I am in deep trouble because no one haves this version, I think the only one can solve this might be you, or Marc, people from that time I still used to read messages from.

Ok When I run the nph_build.cgi with chmod 777, I get everything ok and then says

"Cant make /www/docs/News "permission denied""

OK then I whent to links.cfg and changed to 755 and it produced me all the pages. but when I got to the web I could not see them because it would say to me "Forbiden!"

So I got stucked. To visalize the pages after runing on Chmod 755 I have to give a munual comand of CHMOD 777 */*/*/*/*/*/*/*/
to all directorys and files (very, very anoying!!). And by that way I could see them.

Then I got starting geting problems with webadverts that I dont know because of the chmod session I did start not working as well... terrible news!

Then I tryied to get links working with CHMOD 750 and worked but once again problems with adverts and some pages couldnt be seen.

What do you say to me? What do you think the trouble is?? Do you think is my new ISP that cut permissions? I am running as "admin" on a virtual server, but many commands are blocked, they say for security.

Another thing is... do you think I should make the upgrade?? If yes please tell me how can I do it without blowing everything up.

Thanks in advance for your reply!

Polo

[This message has been edited by polo (edited January 18, 1999).]
Quote Reply
Re: To ALEX or MARC: Old 0.9 version: Permissions 777, 755, ...Madness!!! In reply to
As long as the directory that you are trying to build directories/pages in is set to 777, you should have no problems.

If you are, I don't really know what it could be.

--Mark

------------------
You can reach my by ICQ at UID# 8602162

Quote Reply
Re: To ALEX or MARC: Old 0.9 version: Permissions 777, 755, ...Madness!!! In reply to
Wow, 0.9.. Smile

What does the error message say exactly (assuming I did have error reporting back then)?

Cheers,

Alex
Quote Reply
Yes Alex it is the version 0,9.

The thing is, I am changing the stuff from one machine to the other and the new one is a LINUX and I have problems with permissions.

I never have that problem thats why I never change version. To avoid complications.

Now I am in deep trouble because no one haves this version, I think the only one can solve this might be you, or Marc,people from that time I still used to read messages from.

Ok When I run the nph_build.cgi with chmod 777, I get everything to the point:

"Cant make /www/docs/News "permission denied""

OK then I went to links.cfg and changed to 755 and it produced me all the pages, but when I got on the web I could not see the pages because it would say to me "Forbiden!"

So I got stucked. To visalize the pages after runing on Chmod 755 I have to give a manual comand of CHMOD 777 /*/*/*/*/*/*/*/
to all directorys and files (very, very anoying!!). And by that way I could see them.

Then I got starting geting problems with webadverts. It start not working as well... terrible news!

Then I tryied to get links working with CHMOD 750 and worked but once again problems with adverts and some pages couldnt be seen.

What do you say to me? What do you think the trouble is?? Do you think is my new ISP that cut permissions? I am running as "admin" on a virtual server, but many commands are blocked, they say for security.

Another thing is... do you think I should make the upgrade?? If yes please tell me how can I do it without blowing everything up.

Thanks in advance for your reply!

Polo