Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Installation -- Unix :

What do they mean but "all yout template files" ?

Quote Reply
What do they mean but "all yout template files" ?
in the 2.0 installation read me files it asks me to chmodd all my template files to 666

which file are those .... only the files in the template folder or there are some others too....

also....
i don't understand what's going on with the cascading style sheets ? where is it supose to go ? isn't teh directory where the pages will be created the main links directory ?

and one last thing...
if i chmodd a directory to a certain valus will all the files inside be chmoded to the same value or i will have to do each one at the time ?

thank k you for any kind of help on thse problems...
tia

------------------
www.organizedchaos.net
Quote Reply
Re: What do they mean but "all yout template files" ? In reply to

Quote:
in the 2.0 installation read me files it asks me to chmodd all my template files to 666

which file are those .... only the files in the template folder or there are some others too....

ALL template files are in the templates directory. There are no others.

Quote:
i don't understand what's going on with the cascading style sheets ? where is it supose to go ? isn't teh directory where the pages will be created the main links directory ?

The links.css file goes in the directory pointed to by $build_root_path in links.cfg.

Quote:
if i chmodd a directory to a certain valus will all the files inside be chmoded to the same value or i will have to do each one at the time ?

If you chmod the directories and files as outlined in the readme file, that is all that you need to do. Links will chmod the other files in the directories to what it needs.

To answer you question, though, no, the files created in the directories will not have the same permissions as the directory, nor should they. Directory permissions specify what you or a script have permission to do inside of a directory such as execute programs, read a file, write to a file, delete files, or create files. File permissions are assigned based on the needs of the script.

For example, the hits and ratings directories should be chmod 777 but the files within are chmod 666 or 644 by the script.

I hope this answers your questions.

------------------
Bob Connors
bobsie@orphanage.com
www.orphanage.com/goodstuff/