Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Installation -- Unix :

html files in cgi-bin

Quote Reply
html files in cgi-bin
This may be a stupid question, but looking at the FAQ and searching the forums hasn't given me any answers.

I'm trying to install Links 1.1 and getting Internal Server errors when reading .html pages. It seems that I can't execute .HTML files within my cgi-bin.

What's the easiest way to fix this? If I move them to a non-cgi directory, do I have to change every script? I tried just moving the admin HTML pages to a separate directory, but even there I was getting errors with html pages created within the cgi-bin.

Thanks for your time
SneakyDave
Quote Reply
Re: html files in cgi-bin In reply to
Links v1.1 is not run from the cgi-bin directory. It is installed and run from the web directory, assuming your ISP allows scripts to run there.

If you cannot run from the web, might I suggest that since you are just installing that you install Links v2 instead of Links v1? It will run your admin.cgi and user accessible scripts from the cgi-bin directory (there is no html loaded from that directory) but still build the pages in the web directories. It also has more features than does v1.1.

I hope this helps.
Quote Reply
Well, I planned to upgrade to version 2 after I had 1.1 installed and working.

Why does 1.1 require html files to be in the /admin cgi-directory?

Where can I get the complete source for version 2 without having to install 1.1 first, if I can do that?

Thanks for your input

SneakyDave
Quote Reply

Quote:
Why does 1.1 require html files to be in the /admin cgi-directory?

It was just the way the program was written. I suppose you could move the html files to a web directory and then change the script to load it from there, but that would be a lot of work for nothing since you do plan on upgrading to Links v2. You do not need v1.1 installed to use v2. You can download v2 from http://www.gossamer-threads.com/...ts/source/links2.zip

I hope this helps.
Quote Reply
Thanks Bobsie, I appreciate it, I'll try it out tonight.