Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Installation -- Unix :

nph-build and page can't display

Quote Reply
nph-build and page can't display
I am installing links 2.0 and can access the admin panel to add a category and link with no problem. However, when I go to build, I get a "page can't be displayed" screen. An error message would be much more useful! I have checked the file permissions and I think they are all set correctly. Any ideas?
--
Debby Kilburn
"If you don't learn from your mistakes, why bother making them?"
Quote Reply
Re: [dkilburn] nph-build and page can't display In reply to
Sounds like a 500 Internal Server error problem...but with the error pages set incorrectly on your server. Does your error log say anything? Also, have you tried the $nph++ fix?

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] nph-build and page can't display In reply to
It doesn't show the 500 Internet Server error, just a page can't be displayed message. I haven't tried the $nph++ fix... what is that?

I have these files working in another directory and want to copy them to a new directory for a new set of links. I copied everything over to the new directory, changed the config file to reflect the new location, set the permissions just to make sure. Seems like it should all work... all except building the new links.
--
Debby Kilburn
Quote Reply
There are a couple of things you can try. In nph-build.cgi, try commenting out the 2 instances of $nph++. It would look something like;

#$nph++;

Then try rebuilding, and seeing if it works.

If not, then you can try placing this just under the path to Perl in nph-build.cgi, and see if it gives you any more debugging information.

use CGI::Carp qw(fatalsToBrowser);

Hope that helps Smile

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Both instances are now commented out and I put in the link just below the path to perl... same page can't be displayed error :(
--
Debby Kilburn
Quote Reply
Below the fatalsToBrowser part, try adding;

print "Content-type: text/html \n\n";

Just wanna make sure its not a header issue Tongue

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
I had the same error last night, caused by making an incorrect change to the $output of the linked_title sub (experimenting...). Putting it back the way it was fixed it, so the question is, have you changed ANY code in nph-build?

Are you wanting to start a new Links database, or are you moving an existing one, including the database (data dir files) to a new server?

Leonard
aka PerlFlunkie
Quote Reply
Re: [PerlFlunkie] nph-build and page can't display In reply to
Ok, I've got this at the top of nph-build:

#!/usr/bin/perl
use CGI::Carp qw(fatalsToBrowser);
print "Content-type: text/html \n\n";

but I still get the same page cannot be displayed screen.

I want to start a new database for a different set of links in this directory. I don't believe I made any changes to the file prior to this. I was going to upload as a fresh install but I don't have the original files I downloaded, and it doesn't appear that this is a free program anymore.

-D-
--
Debby Kilburn
Quote Reply
In Reply To:
I was going to upload as a fresh install but I don't have the original files I downloaded, and it doesn't appear that this is a free program anymore
Links 2 is free for non-commercial use, and there is no charge to download it so that even those who will ultimately put it to commercial use can evaluate it first.

However, you do have to provide a valid email address so that a link to download it can be sent to you.

This is just to prevent other sites linking to the program without the end user seeing the license or other info in this section first.

The license hasn't changed, it's just that the download is controlled by a script now.
Quote Reply
Re: [wysardry] nph-build and page can't display In reply to
Ok, then, let me try that. Maybe something was configured on the original links that I have set up that just isn't working when I moved directories. I am able to add, delete, etc. where I moved it to (same server, different directory) just not build.

Thanks!
--
Debby Kilburn
Quote Reply
I purchased Perl for Dummies but it was way above my head! Crazy

But it came with ActivePerl ( activestate.com ) on the accompanying disk. One of the best things I did was to install it on my harddrive. Most hosts won't allow you to use telnet. And if the errors don't show up in your error logs ( assuming you even have access to them ), you are just SOS.

I experienced ( many times Blush ) what you describe.

Now I just open a DOS window and run perl. this at least tells me if the syntax is correct or where the error is. Or at least narrows down the problem.

perl -c d:/path_to_file/nph-build.cgi.

May not always work, but it is better than nothing.

Gene
"The older I get, the more I admire competence, just simple competence in any field from adultery to zoology."
Quote Reply
Re: [esm] nph-build and page can't display In reply to
The reinstall seemed to work. Thanks for all of your help :)
--
Debby Kilburn