Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Others : Fileman :

Cannot create directories or upload

Quote Reply
Cannot create directories or upload
Hello. I've successfully (I think) installed the Fileman script v2. The problem is I cannot upload files or create directories. I've tried creating directories and uploading both within and outside of my cgi-bin. When I try to upload, I get a simple message that says "Cannot upload 'filename'". When I try to create a directory anywhere, I get a message that says "The directory not writeable." So, do I have to set every directory at 777 in order to do anything with Fileman? If so, what's the point? I can't even use Fileman to set my directories to 777. I've got to use my ftp program to do that first! Am I missing something simple? Thanks for your help!

Rob

Quote Reply
Re: Cannot create directories or upload In reply to
You should be able to set the permissions on the dirs in fileman. If not, use your FTP program to set permissions on your root dir. As long as you have read/write privlages in a dir, you should be able to upload files and create dirs. Some servers get a little pissy is you set permissions to 777, try 755 first. Is fileman running through suEXEC or another wrapper or as the "nobody" uesr?

Regards,
Charlie

Quote Reply
Piper,

Are you suggesting I set my root directory to CHMOD 755? I'm a novice at this, so I have to ask, does that create any specific security issues that I need to be aware of? Will that give Fileman full read/write access to every directory under the root? I have several directories now that are set at 755 (ie. my cgi-bin) and Fileman can't seem to create directories or upload into them. Does that seem to suggest that setting my root directory to 755 will not work?

What if I have to set my root to 777? What security risks (if any) does that pose? What should I be aware of?

>>"Is fileman running through suEXEC or another wrapper or as the "nobody" uesr?"<<

Again, forgive me, but I'm not sure what you are asking here. Please explain.

Thanks again for your (and everyone's) help. This forum has been great!

Rob

Quote Reply
Hi Rob,

My root dir (/home/domain) is 751 and my www (/home/domain/public_html) dir is set to 755. I don't know what the "standard" settings are for those dirs, maybe a vetran can help us out there. You might need to work with the permissions a bit. Do not set your root dir to 777, that can be a major secuiry problem. I don't even like my root dir to be 755. Search the forums here for more info on nobody and suexec. In short suEXEC lets scripts run with your user permissions instead of the "nodody" user.

Regards,
Charlie