Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Others : Fileman :

FileMan ...Query On Integrated Utility

Quote Reply
FileMan ...Query On Integrated Utility
Hi,

Just downloaded and tested the Free Single User version. Excellent. I have following questions now for the Multiple User:

Can It be integrated with GM to provide say 3 MB space (set by admin) to all GM users on all 5 domains. This is more wrt the authentiation part.

Can the GM user use this space to put up a small site of his own (for which 3 MB is just about sufficient).

The user root directory is normally the domain root/username and the user should not be able to cdup from his root to protect the contents of the domain.

Is it possible that dns record is created for each user (possibly thru cron) so that the user gets:

username.domainname as his site address? The parent name is edited to direct all the subdomains to the given IP. (*.domainname A some IP) for this purpose. can this be built into this as a feature.

In this case certain site template files are automatically moved to each user root. (something like the skel_domain concept for normal hosting).

If these things are posible then I am sure I would love to go in for FileMan Multiuser once GM is installed by GT on my server.

The GM template have link for Fileman so that it can be accessed from there without the nedd to login again.

Thnx

Anup

Last edited by:

anup123: Jun 10, 2002, 1:30 PM
Quote Reply
Re: [anup123] FileMan ...Query On Integrated Utility In reply to
Hi Anup,

Sorry about the late reply!

Quote:
Can It be integrated with GM to provide say 3 MB space (set by admin) to all GM users on all 5 domains. This is more wrt the authentiation part.
Can the GM user use this space to put up a small site of his own (for which 3 MB is just about sufficient).
No, it cannot be integrated with GM users. It manages its own user database, you'll be able to allow space for each user.

Quote:
The user root directory is normally the domain root/username and the user should not be able to cdup from his root to protect the contents of the domain
Definitely, user can only access their own directories which are set by admin.

Quote:
username.domainname as his site address? The parent name is edited to direct all the subdomains to the given IP. (*.domainname A some IP) for this purpose. can this be built into this as a feature.
No.

If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Cheers,

TheStone.

B.
Quote Reply
Re: [TheStone] FileMan ...Query On Integrated Utility In reply to
Hi,

Zeroing In, can the following be done as bare minimum:

(1). The Option for signup for filemanager (some other name perhaps) in GM after login. This ensures that only valid GM users have the ability to signup. The username should be automatically taken up from GM.

(2). Link for Login To File Manager in GM. The username is automatically taken from GM

(3). The Default root directory should be automatically done as follows:

domainname/username

Instead of the admin defining it for each user. The user account can be on any of the five domains that runs GM.

This should not be difficult I suppose. Basically, FileMan is proposed to be offered as a sort of "BriefCase" to the GM users who would want to opt for it.

The account activation is admin controlled as usual.

Thnx
Anup