Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Others : Fileman :

Fileman Installation problem - I guess

Quote Reply
Fileman Installation problem - I guess
I tried the install twice - once from a shell command line and once through the browser. Same result: the install appears to work, but FileMan doesn't run properly. The file listings have no visible column headers but the links to sort are there (the mouse pointer changes and clicking works) and generally, it's not too obvious what you're supposed to do (like, how to move files back and forth), so I guess there's other visible stuff missing.

I'm running it under the cgi-bin directory of an apache virtual server. (The server works fine btw.) The fileman directory is in a place called /usr/local/apache/serverhome/cgi/fileman whereas I want to manage files starting at /usr/local/apache/serverhome.

Web access to the server is a tad complicated, but I have other apps running this way (such as mysqlman) without problems. The url looks like this:

http://serverhome.dyndns.biz:902/cgi-bin/fileman/fileman.cgi

I'm not sure whether all this is important, but it's the whole story.

Anyone seen this kind of fileman problem before?
Quote Reply
Re: [trep] Fileman Installation problem - I guess In reply to
Ok, so I found another posting that sounded like the same problem. I followed the advice in the reply (move the images dir away from the cgi dir and edit ConfigData.pm. It didn't help. I notice also a hash element named 'html_root_url' assigned as '....../cgi-bin/fileman/images' in ConfigData.pm. This doesn't look quite right, so I fooled around with it a bit but nothing. Any more suggestions?
Quote Reply
Still at it, but now everything is fine. I've "discovered" that a lot of the problems have to do with the requirement to use IE instead of, say, Mozilla. Now that I've tried it with IE, it works a lot better - in fact, it seems to be fine. You should maybe mention that it requires IE, since it does. That's a little surprising for a company that sells platform independent tools. I'm in the midst of producing a web service and it's no small feat dealing with all the vagaries of a zillion different browsers and versions.

Sorry to raise alarms unnecessarily!
Quote Reply
Hi trep,

I use FileMan in Firefox almost exclusively without a problem. As far as I know the only thing that doesn't work is the HTML/WYSIWYG editor which I don't use. I think I remember GT mentioning that they have plans to fix that soon though.

~Charlie
Quote Reply
Re: [Chaz] Fileman Installation problem - I guess In reply to
Hmmm. I tried it in Firefox again, this time it's fine. It's hard to say now what I did, but even the editor seems to function. I wonder about users sometimes, and then I do stuff like this.