Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Others : Fileman :

Installation Problems

Quote Reply
Installation Problems
Right...

I ahve searched for other threads on this, and have found some, but they are not really helpful.

I cannot install it, and I get the
  • Unable to write to directory Reason: (Permission denied)
  • Could not make directory Reason: Permission denied
  • Could not make directory Reason: Permission denied
  • Unable to write to directory Reason: (Permission denied)

I have sorted out all the file permissions, but if I try and make the cgi-bin folder 777, then I get an internal server error.

Help please.

Thanks in advance
Quote Reply
Re: [Twigman] Installation Problems In reply to
Hi Twigman,

You probably have a cgi wrapper enabled for Apache, you won't be able to run a script that is set to 777 or in a directory that is set to 777. 755 should suffice. As for the other problem(s), make sure you have the correct paths during the install. It sounds as if you have that taken care of, correct?

Regards,
Charlie
Quote Reply
Re: [Chaz] Installation Problems In reply to
nope that doesnt help :(

Thanks anyway
Quote Reply
I guess I need to find out exactly what the problem is. Are you still having the problem with the paths when installing? I'm not sure if you have that fixed or not. I'm assuming that you CHMOD'd the dir(s) to 777 and got it installed but you can't get it run, correct?

Can you check the error log and see what the actual error is? Post the relevant lines here. I'm really speculating when I say it might be a cgi wrapper causing the problem.

[edit]Assuming you got FM installed, who is the owner of the files? You should be able to get that from your FTP client.[/edit]

~Charlie

Last edited by:

Chaz: May 10, 2003, 10:11 AM
Quote Reply
Right:
sorry about this but I'm quite new to CGI stuff.

I have tryed CHMODing both the files to 777, and then run the install.

I cannot get past the second page where you set all the directory paths and username etc.

If I try and CHMOD the whole CGI-BIN directory, and run it then I get an internal server error message from my webhosts (web-mania.com incase thats important).

So i can leave the directory as 755, and the files as 777 and still get these right errors.
Quote Reply
I follow now. It sounds like you might be using incorrect paths. What are you entering for the paths and what are you entering for urls?

~Charlie
Quote Reply
well i looked at the defaults that it makes, and they sounded sensible, and seemed correct, so I just let it do those, and i get that message, and I also tryed making my own, to put it in a sub folder, and it didnt like that either.
Quote Reply
Well, you've got me stumped. Have you tried contacting your host to see if they can help with the permissions?

755 should be fine as long as you are the owner of the files and directories an you are using a cgi wrapper. You can also try 775 but I'm about out of ideas :/

~Charlie