Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Others : Fileman :

Need Help

Quote Reply
Need Help
Ok, I know that this problem has been discussed, but they new more about ftp ownership then I do, so here goes... Laugh

Uploaded and installed a single user version of fileman to public_html\fileman and it is working fine as far as that goes. on a side note, all files have been uploaded using 'smart ftp' and all ownerships (according to fileman) are listed as my username.

now no matter what i do, creates, saves, moves, etc, i get a errors like Root file is not writeable. HELP! Wink

I dont quite understand what i need to do to fix this. i can upload to the cgi-bin, but what do i need to do to keep this from happening, and what do I do do uninstall this because now I cant remove that folder.

thanks.

I can be reached on AIM: fkatzenb or MSN: fkatzenb@hotmail.com or by e-mail at fkatzenb@usermail.com

thanks again.

Frank
Quote Reply
Re: [fkatzenb] Need Help In reply to
Hi Frank,

What are the permissions on the parent directories?

Quote:
all files have been uploaded using 'smart ftp' and all ownerships (according to fileman) are listed as my username.

Are the Fileman files owned by you also? Or does "Nobody" show as the owner of Fileman files?

Quote:
and what do I do do uninstall this because now I cant remove that folder.

You can't remove the files/dirs with your FTP client?
Quote Reply
Re: [Chaz] Need Help In reply to
In Reply To:
Hi Frank,

What are the permissions on the parent directories?

Quote:
all files have been uploaded using 'smart ftp' and all ownerships (according to fileman) are listed as my username.

Are the Fileman files owned by you also? Or does "Nobody" show as the owner of Fileman files?

Quote:
and what do I do do uninstall this because now I cant remove that folder.

You can't remove the files/dirs with your FTP client?

Ok, public_html directory is wxr-xr-x
fileman directory is wxr-x-x

and when i viewed the fileman directory under fileman the owner is WWW even though i uploaded with smart ftp, but i guess that would be because the files were created in an installed.

so what is my next course of action? i dont know if you are familiar with www.npsis.com for hosting solutions. i guess i am probably going to need to get ahold of them.

thanks

frank
Quote Reply
It sounds as if your scripts are not being executed via a cgi wrapper. That is why you can't edit, create, etc. Try CHMODing your directories to 766 and see if that helps.

I personally recommend that you check with your host and see if they will enable suEXEC on Apache or install some other cgi wrapper for you. That will be much more secure than CHMODing to 766, or worse, 777.

Regards,
Charlie
Quote Reply
chaz,

when doing the chmod trick, i works, but i dont like that :D

i did contact my host and here is what he had to say... any suggestions???

SuEXEC won't work with our setup because we're not using <VirtualHost> entries. At least it won't work consistently. Which is the big problem here. Conistency.

frank

Quote Reply
In Reply To:
when doing the chmod trick, i works, but i dont like that :D

I don't blame you, it's not very secure.

In Reply To:
SuEXEC won't work with our setup because we're not using <VirtualHost> entries. At least it won't work consistently. Which is the big problem here. Conistency.

That sucks. Ask your host if they can install another cgi wrapper maybe. Personally, I'd start looking for a new host. Again, that's not very secure in my eyes.

You can also try using FileMan exclusively to upload your files. This way, all the files you upload will have WWW as the user. Fileman will be able to operate on your files then. You still run into security problem here though. Anyone with access to the server can write a script to read directories and start looking in your files.

Good luck!

~Charlie
Quote Reply
what kind of requirements for a cgi wrapper should i be looking for? how exactly does this virtualhost thing work?

its kind of irretating, but i could live.

frank
Quote Reply
You will have to talk with your host about the wrapper. I'm not sure what they have going on there. If suEXEC wont work, they might be able to find some other wrapper that will. As far as the VirtualHosting, your best bet is to read through the docs: http://httpd.apache.org/docs/vhosts/.

Is this a free hosting service that you are using? Not usign vHosts seems a bit odd. Then again, I'm by no means an Apache expert :/

~Charlie

Last edited by:

Chaz: Feb 10, 2003, 7:08 PM
Quote Reply
Ask your host to install CGIwrap:

http://cgiwrap.unixtools.org/

That will let you run cgi's as your own user. The host just needs to set it up and setuid the program.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.