Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Others : Fileman :

Suggestions for Fileman2

Quote Reply
Suggestions for Fileman2
1) The ability to have multiple logins with different passwords where the "root" directory is different for each login.

2) When deleting a folder that is full it asks about deleting child files and directories. This works fine, if the inner directory has nothing in it. When the inner directory has files (I guess these would be grandchildren? Smile ) then it doesn't delete it. Thus, you have to go down to the lowest level and move backwards. How about a complete removal from the top level?

Thanks!
Adam

Quote Reply
Re: Suggestions for Fileman2 In reply to
I was told soon after the release of version two that eventually the multi-user version of file manager would be upgraded. I imagine this will only be when they are convinced version two is stable as a single user app.

As for removing entire directories with their content, I added this ability to the previous multi-user version of FileMan by changing the delete directory command in the remove directory sub to:

`rm -r $fulldir`

I imagine you can use a similar modification in version 2. However, this is not always a good idea, especially if you use .htaccess files, but I haven't run into any major problems with it to date.

Quote Reply
Re: [rm -rf] In reply to
this is how it works in MY case:
----------------------------------------
###(VM) use UNIX 'rm'
if (!&exists($fulldir)) {
return "Remove Directory: '$new' does not exist."; }
else {
my $rm_result = `rm -rf $fulldir 2>&1`;
if ($rm_result) {
return "$rm_result"; }
else {
return "Remove Directory: '$new' has been removed."; }
}
----------------------------------------

Quote Reply
Hi,

1. We'll look at putting this in. We are still not sure how the multi-user fileman will end up looking. Right now Fileman has changed from a tool to provide free space, to a site management tool. Where do people want the multi user version to end up?

2. I'll look into this, on our tests it will remove everything recursively (avoiding the rm -rf which won't work on all servers -- most noteably windows servers).

Cheers,

Alex

--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Can Filemanager upload files recursively? ie choose a whole local folder and upload the whole folder to a server preserving structure etc. ?

TIA

Quote Reply
Hi,

No, afraid not. This wouldn't be possible due to limitations in the browser.

Cheers,

Alex

--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
OK Alex -

thanks for taking time to reply - much appreciated :-)

Quote Reply
just ZIP it first! the folder, i mean In reply to
then upload this SINGLE archive file
then UNZIP it using FileManager
i think its more cenvenient and faster than uploading a bunch of files

Quote Reply
Re: [TheSkier] just ZIP it first! the folder, i mean In reply to
I'm sorry, I'm a complete newbie at this. I just got FileMan the other day and first tried to use it today. I can easily zip things on my machine and upload the .zip file, but how would I unpack it from the FileMan interface?

I see the TAR command, but that looks like it creates a .tar.gz file from server-side files. How can I do the reverse?

Thanks,

-- Scott
Quote Reply
Re: [CrossEye] just ZIP it first! the folder, i mean In reply to
In Reply To:
..I see the TAR command, but that looks like it creates a .tar.gz file from server-side files. How can I do the reverse?
if you can create a .tar.gz archive on YOUR computer (am using the PowerArchiver for that http://www.powerarchiver.com) then after uploading that file to your server using Fileman2 you may just click on the file_icon (it will show up as Compressed File) and see his contents right in the window
then specify "uncompress to" folder at the bottom menu (if needed) and press "Go"
i guess Fileman2 supports a .ZIP files too (am not sure, in my case it don't, i guess it requires some Perl module to be installed on the server)
actually, am still using a highly customised Fileman ver.1 because F2 is too slow Wink
Quote Reply
Re: [TheSkier] just ZIP it first! the folder, i mean In reply to
In Reply To:
if you can create a .tar.gz archive on YOUR computer (am using the PowerArchiver for that http://www.powerarchiver.com) then after uploading that file to your server using Fileman2 you may just click on the file_icon ...

Thanks. I'll try that.

I looked all over for the command or button, but didn't see one. I never even considered just trying to upload a file and see what happened.

You know, I usually think of myself as an adventurous sort when it comes to technology. I usually jump right in and start playing, but damn if I don't expect things to follow a certain order. I remember when my brother got his first turntable. I helped him set it up, but couldn't figure out how to get the damn thing spinning before I put the needle on it. It said to just move the arm and put the needle down, but I was not going to ruin my Dark Side of the Moon album by putting the needle onto it when it wasn't spinning. My father came in and read the directions and just moved the needle just like it said. "Oh, look at that, moving the arm starts it spinning." Blush

I feel like that right now.

Thanks,

-- Scott