Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Others : Fileman :

TRIPOD and GEOCITIES

Quote Reply
TRIPOD and GEOCITIES
I have a few brief questions. I have been studying FILEMAN to understand its capabilities. I noticed their is only 1 mod for FILEMAN in the resources.

1. I would like to know if FILEMAN can be used to begin a 'Virtual Community' such as TRIPOD or GEOCITIES?

2. Can this be done with a 'single user' or I must use the Multiple user (which would be no problem).

3 If so, then would it be possible to support CGI bins for each user such as the above mentioned?

4. If any of these are not possible are their MODS that would perform these functions with FILEMAN?

If anyone knows the answer to any or all of these questions please let me know. I think it would be benificial for many.

Thank you.

Cosmin -

BETESDA - Romanian WebPortal http://www.betesda.com
Quote Reply
Re: TRIPOD and GEOCITIES In reply to
In Reply To:
1. I would like to know if FILEMAN can be used to begin a 'Virtual Community' such as TRIPOD or GEOCITIES?
In a rudimentary basic way...Yes.

In Reply To:
2. Can this be done with a 'single user' or I must use the Multiple user (which would be no problem).
Let's see...community comprises of more than one person. Single User versus Multiple Users? Multiple = more than one. Does this help to explain it?

In Reply To:
3 If so, then would it be possible to support CGI bins for each user such as the above mentioned?
"CGI-BIN" is an illusive term used by many ISP and hosting companies to "lock" down or direct security in certain directories in servers. Actually, in most servers you could execute .cgi/.pl scripts from any directory. So, in theory, YES...In practice, not a very smart thing to do in terms of:

1) Security
2) Server Processes (CPU/Memory, etc)

In Reply To:
4. If any of these are not possible are their MODS that would perform these functions with FILEMAN?
The beauty of Perl is its flexibility. But in terms of your goals...the better solution is to look at relational database solutions (e.g., SQL) as a backend for storing your data and front-end applications (like CGI, ASP, or CF) to pull data from the databases.

Fileman would not be the answer for providing a robust solution for building a community web site.

Regards,

Eliot Lee