Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Others : Gossamer Community :

Adding "Recieve Mailer" to GTComm

Quote Reply
Adding "Recieve Mailer" to GTComm
I am not sure if I should just shut up until Beta three or final, or post this now... I figure I will post now, and possibly have some bit of influence on future upgrades... and also maybe fix my current install!

OK, here is the situation! I have LinksSQL and Forum installed. Links is my base site, and forum is kind of an add-on to the original site. I have- against the advice on this forum!- added Comm to the website, so it is active.

I do like to send the occasional mailer, which I do through Links. It just hit me that GTComm does not have a "Subscribe/Unscubscribe" in the base install. OK, I know HOW to add this as a new field to the Edit Profile GTComm, but from there, I am not sure what to do...

1) Should I add a Subscribe to com_users, or just deal with this in Links?
2) If I deal with it in Links, how do I get GTComm to link to the Links DB and update this field as needed? (I know you can link fields from GTCOMM to Links at install, but I do not know how to add these sorts of "update" links after the fact of install.)

I currently have the GTComm Edit User, and a seperate Edit User setup iin Links (That includes some setup for Pauls MyLinks, as well as the Recieve E-mailer Yes/No field). I do not like the idea of two sperate and different User Edit places. How can I move all the MyLinks into the GTComm, or should I leave those to Links?

Thanks!
dave

Big Cartoon DataBase
Big Comic Book DataBase
Quote Reply
Re: [carfac] Adding "Recieve Mailer" to GTComm In reply to
HI Dave,

I would suggest, especially for your use, getting in touch with Virginia at GT and getting the Newsletter Plugin. It runs off LinksSQL but it allows you to give all the controls over to the user for as many newsletters as you have top level categories. Full stats as well. It is the best!

It runs seperate from the built in subscribe functionality of the LinksSQL newsletter, selective mailer.

The good part is that even with Community it runs the way it is supposed to.

Enjoy

Brian

Last edited by:

Teambldr: Apr 28, 2003, 8:04 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [Teambldr] Adding "Recieve Mailer" to GTComm In reply to
Brian:

Thanks for the heads up- I was unaware of this plug in. Will contact Virginia!
dave

Big Cartoon DataBase
Big Comic Book DataBase
Quote Reply
Guess it is not a public plugin? Is there a site where it is running to I could have a look?

Klaus

http://www.ameinfo.com
Quote Reply
Re: [klauslovgreen] Adding "Recieve Mailer" to GTComm In reply to
HI,

Yes, it is a non-public plugin currently. We use it on our network.

Brian
Quote Reply
Hi,

that sounds interesting!

What are the features of this plugin?

Regards,
Manu

Shopping Portal Shop-Netz.de® | Partnerprogramme | Flugreisen & Billigflüge | KESTERMEDIA e.K. | European Affiliate Marketing Forum.
Quote Reply
Re: [ManuGermany] Adding "Recieve Mailer" to GTComm In reply to
Hi,

This should give you some of the info. But there is more you can get from GT as well.
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/...i?post=220520#220520

Last edited by:

Teambldr: Apr 29, 2003, 7:04 AM
Quote Reply
For what it is worth, the easiest work around we could come up with was to have a java link on the Edit Profile GTCom page that opens a new window (and form) which calls a quick little cgi script I wrote to update JUST the Links components. It works!
dave

Big Cartoon DataBase
Big Comic Book DataBase
Quote Reply
What is the cost of the plugin?

Klaus

http://www.ameinfo.com
Quote Reply
Re: [klauslovgreen] Adding "Recieve Mailer" to GTComm In reply to
You would have to contact GT to get a price.