Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Others : Gossamer Community :

Community + Forums + Remote Application

Quote Reply
Community + Forums + Remote Application
Hello..

I am interested in using Community (or something) to have one login database that's used to authenticate for both Gossamer Forums and for my application, where the application and the forums run on different servers that may be thousands of miles apart. Is this feasible?

If so, I understand that I do not need Links SQL in order to do this. Is the following set of things sufficient:

- Community,

- Forums,

- Postgres, and

- a custom php script that the remote application invokes to mediate between the remote application and the Community login database.

(Sorry about cross-posting -- I asked about this in another thread but nobody has responded in two weeks.)

Andrew
Quote Reply
Re: [AS] Community + Forums + Remote Application In reply to
Hi,

Currently we don't yet support remote plugins (designed for where the application is on a different domain and/or a different server).

However, since you are integrating your own php script, it should be quite easy if the applications run on the same domain/subdomain (i.e forum.domain.com and myapp.domain.com). What you can do is:

1. Install Gossamer Forum and Gossamer Community on a single server.
2. To authenticate from Community using your PHP app, simply get the session cookie and query the mysql database (see comm_auth_session in Community.pm for what you should do exactly).

If they are on totally different domains, it's a little trickier as the user can not pass his Community session info to the second app.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] Community + Forums + Remote Application In reply to
Howdy.

So, assuming I can get the script to work, are the following things everything that I'll need? (That is, I wouldn't need to buy anything else from Gossamer to get this running.)

- Community,

- Forums,

- Postgres, and

- the script.
Quote Reply
Re: [AS] Community + Forums + Remote Application In reply to
Hi,

Yes, Gossamer Community is free, so all you would need to buy from us is Gossamer Forum. Links SQL is not needed at all, and Postgres is a free download.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] Community + Forums + Remote Application In reply to
Thanks.