Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Others : Gossamer Community :

GC With GT Apps On Different Domains

Quote Reply
GC With GT Apps On Different Domains
Hi.

This is wrt GT Apps which permit url based sessions (like GM/LSQL) which are necessary for WAP Support as WAP would not work on cookie based sessions.
Now onto the following which could make *such GT apps on different domain* integrated with GC

(1). Once a user logs in to GC, the "session id" value of of the GC Linked GT Apps for a given user be updated with the sess_id value in GC.

(2). Then for the URL Based Session GT Apps, the user_home.html have a link like following for LSQL on a separate domain for example:

<a href="url/to/page.cgi?s=<%sess_id%>">LSQL Site</a>

Where <%sess_id%> is the GCom session id for the given user.
Could try this manually updating the table for GC, and LSQL on different domains and found that the user could roam around LSQL site as "Authenticated"

Currently, <%sess_id%> is not available as template tag in GC so it could not be tested by placing a link ion user_home.html

URL Based sessions could raise a concern from session hijacking security angle. Have seen hotmail/yahoo/rediffmail all work on url based sessions so that shouldn't be an issue ... unless of course WAP support is to be taken out from GT Apps.

Can the following be possible and how:
  • Update the sessions table of all GC Linked GT Apps as soon as user logs in to GC with the value of <%sess_id%> from GC
  • Making GC's session id available as template tag <%sess_id%>

Thanks
Anup
Quote Reply
Re: [anup123] GC With GT Apps On Different Domains In reply to
Are you essentially trying to implement the remote authentication thing?
Quote Reply
Re: [cwi] GC With GT Apps On Different Domains In reply to
Hi.

What im trying is that GC be useable for GT Apps on different domains. I for one could not see a reason why i should have ... GM, LSQL and for that matter other GT Apps as i move along, be all on same domain/subdomain of same domain as that greatly limits the marketing potential ...

I have been able to get the sess_id as template tag (Thanks to Charlie) and manually updating the sessions table of LSQL could move from GC on domain1 to LSQL on domain 2 w/o any problem so the logic is right. What is left is that the LSQL Sessions table is updated with the GC sessions table data (like sess_id, sess_date etc) thru the plugin and it's done.... update like this:

------------------------------------------
GC =====> LSQL
sess_id session_id
comm_usernme =====> session_user_id
sess_accessed =====> session_date
-----------------------------------------------------------
undef =====> session_data

With hotmail/yahoo and other webmail operating with url's based sessions i think security issue wrt sessions hijacking could be ignored for the time being ... perhaps session length could be reduced to something like 30 minutes or so ... This is the only workable solution to integrating GT Apps with GC with GT Apps spread over multiple domains, till of course GT comes up with GC Upgrade where cookie based sessions for GT Apps on different domains can work ...

Anup

Last edited by:

anup123: Aug 15, 2004, 1:32 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [cwi] GC With GT Apps On Different Domains In reply to
Hi

To elaborate, im testing with following scenario:

(1) GC On Subdomain of Domain1
(2) LSQL On Domain2 (URL Based Session)
(3) GM on Subdomain Of Domain 1
(4) GF (Test Install) On Subdomain Of Domain 1.

Installed AuthComuntiy Plugin for (2) and (4).
From Auth_Comunity of (2), disabled auth_valid_session (PRE) which to me means that all sessions checking for LSQL would be against LSQL....

Setup LSQL App URL as:
/page.cgi?d=1%s=<%sess_id%> where <%sess_id%> is GC session id.

Logged in to GC.

Added data to LSQL Sessions table manually:
session_id == <%sess_id%>
session_user_id == <%comm_username%>
session_date == <%sess_accessed%>
session_data == undef

where RHS is GC values.

Then clicked on the link for LSQL App set in user_home.html to open in a New Page.
Could navigate throughout LSQL as Authenticated w/o loggin in again.
From LSQL Site Clicked On Forum Link and Was Logged In As Authenticated There Also

So Issue Now Is:

Through the Auth_Community Plugin for LSQL (where LSQL is on a diff domain from GC) -- Update the Links Sessions table like:

session_id == <%sess_id%>
session_user_id == <%comm_username%>
session_date == <%sess_accessed%>
session_data == undef

where RHS is GC values,as the user logs in to GC.

Any help on this. Could the plugin be modified accordingly. I don't understand a bit of coding in it's syntax.... but can follow a bit

Logging Out from LSQL/GC/forum clears the sessions table fine so if a user logs out from GC, he is also logged out from LSQL.

TIA
Anup