Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Others : Gossamer Community :

GCommunity and Facebook Connect?

Quote Reply
GCommunity and Facebook Connect?
Hello,

I'm wondering does someone developed plugin for GCommunity to work with Facebook Connect?

Cheers,
Boris

Facebook, Twitter and Google+ Auth for GLinks and GCommunity | reCAPTCHA for GLinks | Free GLinks Plugins
Quote Reply
Re: [eupos] GCommunity and Facebook Connect? In reply to
Im looking for this too...

Perhaps we can all pay someone to build it?
Im in on it.

Anyone else?

JC
Quote Reply
Re: [Gorospe] GCommunity and Facebook Connect? In reply to
Have to read the Goss license and see if they will be ticked if we hire someone else to update their software. Or were you talking about having a web applications developer creating a plug of some sort?

I am in on social networking advancements as long as the cost are reasonable.

Sandra Roussel
Chonsa Group Design - Fresh Start Housing
Quote Reply
Re: [SandraR] GCommunity and Facebook Connect? In reply to
The job can be done via plugin, but someone must willing to build it of course if there is enough amount of people who need such a plugin and willing to pay for.

Cheers,
Boris

Facebook, Twitter and Google+ Auth for GLinks and GCommunity | reCAPTCHA for GLinks | Free GLinks Plugins
Quote Reply
Dont really know anything about how its done...
But Facebook has an API for this. We just have to work with that api.
I wouldnt be in favor of touching code in my links, even if the license says I can. Id rather have some external script/app/global/plugin do the job... Since all it does is pull the visitors info into your DB with one click and detect if youre loged in or not...
You can pull some info quickly, and ALL info if the visitor allows it. All info being posts, comments, pics, movies etc. Everything except the password from facebook.
Imagine the possibilities.
Quote Reply
Re: [Gorospe] GCommunity and Facebook Connect? In reply to
Gorospe wrote:
[/quote]Dont really know anything about how its done...
But Facebook has an API for this. We just have to work with that api.
I wouldnt be in favor of touching code in my links, even if the license says I can. Id rather have some external script/app/global/plugin do the job... Since all it does is pull the visitors info into your DB with one click and detect if youre logged in or not...
You can pull some info quickly, and ALL info if the visitor allows it. All info being posts, comments, pics, movies etc. Everything except the password from facebook.
Imagine the possibilities.[/quote]
Well yes :)
Facebook provide you all this information, as of beginning my personal opinion is that user profile data is enough to save time for a user to enter all information. Even only this feature have great value for sites because it is a really pain and time saver for users, from one side and from another that way you gather a lot of useful data that most of users don't enter normally when they register.

Cheers,
Boris

Quote Reply
Instead of direct facebook hook, I think it would be 100 times better idea to have a plug-in for Joomla. Since it opens up door not only like tons of other possibilities, as joomla already works with many other open-source products and you can also use Open ID (http://openid.net/) with i (so you can easily use with facebook, myspace.. etc too).

Quote from Joomla Site (http://www.joomla.org/about-joomla/core-features.html)
Quote:
Authentication is an important part of user management and Joomla support multiple protocols, including LDAP, OpenID, and even Gmail. This allows users to use their existing account information to streamline the registration process.

Now if there can be a bridge between GLinks & Joomla that would be 'awesome'.

Vishal
-------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: [SWDevil.Com] GCommunity and Facebook Connect? In reply to
Mmm SWDevil what you are proposing to is to make Joomla the primary Auth system for GLinks, GForum and etc., but I think it still be better to have these features directly build in to GComm. Because of this I'm asking for such a plugin.

Cheers,
Boris

Quote Reply
No, I am just suggesting it would be great to have a bridge between GLinks & Joomla, so both can be integrated together, since Joomla already has huge collection of extensions.

Vishal
Quote Reply
Re: [SWDevil.Com] GCommunity and Facebook Connect? In reply to
Ah ok, but I think this is different job, for what I'm asking and others too, is to have a facebook plugin for GComm with hope that we will find enough people who willing to pay for such a feature.

Cheers,
Boris

Quote Reply
Good point, sorry my bad.

Vishal