Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Others : Gossamer Community :

GCommunity on different Domains

Quote Reply
GCommunity on different Domains
Hi,

I know this is a regularly discussed topic but I am not sure about the state of the GC.
I would like to use GC and several LinksSQL on different domains. I do not need any switching from LinksSQLA to LinksSQLB but I would like users that go to A register at GC and can login at A or B with the same data which is stored at GC. So if there are any changes there is only one single database with user data.
Hope I do not sound to confused.

Regards

niko
Quote Reply
Re: [el noe] GCommunity on different Domains In reply to
I tried this and, for a while, had it working by using the server address rather than domain names for all user functions.

Unfortunately this ability must have been due to a security problem because when the server security was updated; it no longer worked.

I tried installing GCommunity on several domains using a single database- this does not work because GCommunity couldn't accept multiple paths/to/file

I have wondered if I could alter the database prefix so all my installations of GLinks used the same database table but not tried it.
Quote Reply
Re: [Alba] GCommunity on different Domains In reply to
Thanks for the quick reqly.
Wouldn´t it be possible to point the authentification process to another database/table by modifying the LinksSQL process? I tried it with one table as well but as far as I can remember the problem was the prefix. You have to use different prefixes for the Links tables and at the same time make the login-process look in the same table with non matching prefix all the time...

Crazy

Regards

niko
Quote Reply
Re: [el noe] GCommunity on different Domains In reply to
I've been trying to access info from another table for a different reason. It used to work but something changed and it didn't work any longer.

I'm about to commission GT to do a customisation to allow me to do it... perhaps I should ask them for a plugin?
Quote Reply
Re: [Alba] GCommunity on different Domains In reply to
This has been a most requested feature.

In Links SQL 1.x I was able to use a central database for _all_ sites, but something changed in how the prefixes and database objects were perpetuated that blocked that in later versions.

Community has promised multiple-domain log ons for awhile, and I'm not sure why it's taken so long, since while it is a complicated concept, there are some "hacks" that could have been implemented to make it work with various amounts of restrictions.

My major need has been one user base, even if the actual logons required the user to log on from site to site, I want only one user in my network to have the username "JohnSmith" for example -- ANYWHERE across the network. I could live with modified logons -- eg: from the same domain between links/gforum/etc, but really, really need ONE community _database_ for all my sites.

I'm still playing with something, that might address some issues, but have not been able to make it work yet. I'm trying again now, and tomorrow, and hopefully there will be some success. I've rearranged some sites, so I'm going to try again. It's a GT mod, so if I can get it to work, there might be some hope on the horizon. The restriction may be the domains have to be on the same server, _AND_ same user account.... I'm trying that tonight, to see if all our beading domains can share the same logon. My first attempts didn't work, but I'm starting from the ground up on these.

This is _SOOOOO_ important, and the one missing piece to making the GT programs a stellar success. Things have to be networked today, and different sites, different domains, different "niches" need to be be able to be linked so the user feels "at home" across a diverse network of features.

Anyway... back to the grindstone.

PUGDOG� Enterprises, Inc.

The best way to contact me is to NOT use Email.
Please leave a PM here.
Quote Reply
Re: [pugdog] GCommunity on different Domains In reply to
GT are doing a mod for me this week. I've requested it to be a plugin so perhaps we'll be able to get multi installation/single db to work without using GCommunity.

Will let you know what happens.