Gossamer Forum
Quote Reply
Great!
Finally here it is! Wink
I've tested it three days ago. I've noticed no bugs right now.
Now I'm waiting the development of my simple RealChat plugin so I can publish the entire community live.
However I've got some questions. I completed the setup (all admin preferences set, templates modified, language vars translated) but I've not loaded the plugin for Gforum and LinkSQL yet. I looked quickly at the plugins and it seems that they handles and redirect registration procedures to community. But what about registration form fields? For example in Gforum there are a lots of fields (AIM name, Yahoo and MSN identity, etc.). Shall I add these missing fields into Community?
Thanks
Max
The one with Mac OS X Server 10.4 :)

Last edited by:

maxpico: Jan 20, 2003, 10:58 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [maxpico] Great! In reply to
>>
I've tested it three days ago.
<<

Oooo get you Wink
Quote Reply
Re: [Paul] Great! In reply to
Tongue

I've modified the post right now adding some questions.
Max
Quote Reply
Quote:
However I've got some questions. I completed the setup (all admin preferences set, templates modified, language vars translated) but I've not loaded the plugin for Gforum and LinkSQL yet. I looked quickly at the plugins and it seems that they handles and redirect registration procedures to community. But what about registration form fields? For example in Gforum there are a lots of fields (AIM name, Yahoo and MSN identity, etc.). Shall I add these missing fields into Community?

No, Community will create the user in Gossamer Forum with the default values, but when a user logs in, they should click on Edit Profile to change what is displayed in Gossamer Forum.

This separation is required, as you may want to ask for their MSN identity as part of the signup, but that may not be the one they want displayed to other users.

Hope that makes sense.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] Great! In reply to
OK but if I add a new field in Gcommunity I want that if someone wants to check a user's profile, he will see the new field. I think Gcommunity should be a central communication framework for GT products (and also thirdy party software). I think the way it is implemented right now it's a little bit patchy.... I will install the plugins and see what happens :)
Max
Quote Reply
Community is designed similiar to MS Passport. It provides a central user database that each application can connect to and authenticate off of. A user signs up once to get a Community account, and with that account can move into each application. The application has the ability to access the users Community profile and display/edit it if required, however it's up to the application to implement that.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
I've installed the auth plugin into Gforum. Now if I want to log out from the forum it redirects me to the community saying that the log out was successfull. But if I reaccess to the forum the interface tell me that I'm still logged...
Max
Quote Reply
That would be a bug. =) What version of Gossamer Forum are you using?

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
the latest one of course! Wink
Max
Quote Reply
Hmm, can you email support-community@gossamer-threads.com with your Gossamer Forum admin login, and your Community login info and I'll take a look.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
done.
Please note that this is a live site... Frown

I think it could be a cookie related problem...
Max

Last edited by:

maxpico: Jan 20, 2003, 12:21 PM
Quote Reply
Didn't Alex say not to use it on a live site ;)
Quote Reply
Re: [Paul] Great! In reply to
I know... But he said also that many live sites are using it...
However I based part of my project on this script so I hope that in helping GT resolving bugs, I will finally show this long awaited Community for my site...
Max
Quote Reply
That one was a very stupid issue... I just haven't imported the users from Gforum! Crazy
However I have some problems in the import process... Please read the thread 'importing users'...
The problem regards matching fields between Gcommunity and LinkSQL and Gforum....
Max
Quote Reply
Just installed the GComm plugin, and I'm amazed. It's more like an app, not a plugin...
I was wondering how easily you can plug to an already installed application, like LSQL.

IMHO, GComm follows the known quality standard of GT applications.
Hopefully the hooks will be added into final release, to be able to create plugins for GComm app.

Best regards,
Webmaster33

Paid Support
from Webmaster33. Expert in Perl programming & Gossamer Threads applications. (click here for prices)
Webmaster33's products (upd.2004.09.26) | Private message | Contact me | Was my post helpful? Donate my help...