Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Others : Gossamer Community :

Referred by

Quote Reply
Referred by
I would like to create a column in Community by which a registrant can provide the e-mail address of the person who referred him/her to the site (this much I can do).

I would then like to be able to generate a report that tells me how many times each e-mail address appears in that column, so that I can give special access to anyone who referred 5 new registrants. This I don't know how to do.

We're using MySQL, but I don't know enough SQL to be able to generate that kind of report. Automating is good, but getting the counts in a report form is the goal.

Can someone point me in the right direction?

Alan Frayer
Don't just read the news - make the news!
Your World News - http://yourworldnews.frayernet.com
Quote Reply
Re: [afrayer] Referred by In reply to
Adding a new column is not a problem.

However what you described would need a plugin, and depending on the features you want on the admin interface, it can complexity can vary from simple to complicated.
If you need such plugin, and can you afford a paid development, contact me through PM so we can discuss the details.

Global may be still used but would mean limited features, only, and if I'm right, you want an admin level feature, not just a public info.

Best regards,
Webmaster33

Paid Support
from Webmaster33. Expert in Perl programming & Gossamer Threads applications. (click here for prices)
Webmaster33's products (upd.2004.09.26) | Private message | Contact me | Was my post helpful? Donate my help...

Last edited by:

webmaster33: Mar 22, 2005, 3:51 AM
Quote Reply
Hi,

You could add a column from the admin area. The SQL is fairly easy for simple reports (just total counts). i.e. if you had a column prof_how_heard, and make it a select list of options, then the SQL is just:

SELECT COUNT(*), prof_how_heard FROM comm_users GROUP BY prof_how_heard

and that will give you a count and how they heard. If you want to start getting more advanced reports and dates, then it will take a bit of programming. =)

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] Referred by In reply to
Quote:
if you had a column prof_how_heard, and make it a select list of options, then the SQL is just:

SELECT COUNT(*), prof_how_heard FROM comm_users GROUP BY prof_how_heard
But remember, prof_how_heard is supposed to hold the e-mail addresses of referrers. That doesn't sound like a practical source for a select list...

Alan Frayer
Don't just read the news - make the news!
Your World News - http://yourworldnews.frayernet.com
Quote Reply
Hi,

Oops, yes, it doesn't have to be a select list. The same sql would work just fine though.

I was thinking select list as that's what we have on our mailing list archive.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.