Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Others : Gossamer Community :

Remote applications...

Quote Reply
Remote applications...
Mmm.. I'm sure there used to be a "remote" option in GComm? I'm trying to setup the following;

www.main-site.com/ - main install of GComm
www.sub-site.com - LinksSQL install, linked into GComm
www.sub-site2.com - Another LinksSQL install, linked into GComm
www.sub-site3.com - Another LinksSQL install, linked into GComm

However, although they setup ok (the installs all went ok, and Gcomm is picking up the installs). However, if you log in on www.sub-site2.com (it will redirect you to www.main-site2.com), and then try to access www.sub-site2.com/cgi-bin/user.cgi .... it says that the username isn't valid? I'm guessing this has something to do with the different domains, and different realms for the cookies?

I'm 99% sure that I had this working before... on I *think* HyperTherm posted a solution for multiple installs (on seperate domains) ... but I can't find it anywhere :|

TIA

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] Remote applications... In reply to
Hi,

I'm kinda getting there :/

Basically, what I'm having to do... is on user_home.html is call a couple of custom globals, which then call another custom script called session.cgi (which sets the local user session details on that server).

However, if there is a more complete solution... I'm all ears =)

TIA

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Hi Andy,

I had all my remote applications working fine by using the server address rather than the domain names for each site (they are all on the same server).

Unfortunately (or perhaps fortunately for security reasons?) this stopped working after the latest security update for CPanel. I've not been able to find a way round it had have had to return to each application working individually.

Alba
Quote Reply
Re: [Alba] Remote applications... In reply to
I've taken another look at the reasons my GT Community installation stopped working.

From what I can work out- there was a security bug in CPanel that allowed hackers to take control via HTAccess and the fix stopped this happening. Presumably this bug was what had allowed my remote installations to access the necessary files under the other domain names.
Quote Reply
Hi,

The difficulty with multiple domains is session handling. If the session can not be passed in to the user via cookies, it becomes a lot more difficult to authenticate the user.

This is something we are working on though.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] Remote applications... In reply to
I had used the server domain name rather than individual site domain names to get round the cookie problem- until the CPanel security fix stopped it working for some reason.
Quote Reply
Hi.

This is what we had tried and it worked when done manually, but we gave it up as we did not know how to update the individual apps (on different domains) sessions table with the value of the sessions table for GCom.

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/perl/gforum/gforum.cgi?post=270737

sessid =>
sub { return shift; }

On user_home.html

<%sessid($session)%>

and then for the other app on other domain

<a href="http://path_to/cgi-bin/glinks3/page.cgi?s=<%sess_id%>&d=1" >Other App On Other domain</a>

HyperTherm != anup123 :=)

Thanks
HyTC
==================================
Mail Me If Contacting Privately Is That Necessary.
==================================

Last edited by:

HyperTherm: Apr 15, 2005, 10:33 PM