Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Others : Gossamer Community :

Sharing info between Links, Forum and Comm

Quote Reply
Sharing info between Links, Forum and Comm
Hi:

I have a question that I do not yet know the solution to.... and I was hoping someone might be able to help with a direction, at least! Sorry, this might get a little complicated!

Started with Links. I wrote my own review system a year before it finally appeared in Links, so it has a bit of "non" standard formats. (I have since dropped mine, and migrated over to the Links version) Anyway, way back then, I added two new fields to Users- Location and Website- to kind of "fill out" the profile page for a User. I still use those fields.

So, when I pop in GT Comm, I added prof_website and prof_location to the install as new fields. Cool. So now I also have Forum in the mix!

So I can log into Comm... and add or change Website or Location there.... But I can also log into Edit Profile in Forum (and my own version of a similar page for Links) and change that there, too. And none of these update the others... I beleive this would hold true for any other "editable" fields in each individual program vs. the master User DB is Comm.

So my problem is how do I consolidate or reconcile all these- three different User databases? I do not want to have to make members edit there profiles THREE different places. What is the BEST way to handle this?

Thanks!
dave

Big Cartoon DataBase
Big Comic Book DataBase
Quote Reply
Re: [carfac] Sharing info between Links, Forum and Comm In reply to
I think this will be solved in the final version of Community - community will update the other installations - Alex might confirm this..

Klaus

http://www.ameinfo.com