Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Others : Gossamer Community :

User Registered in Forum, but not in Comm

Quote Reply
User Registered in Forum, but not in Comm
Hi:

I am not sure if I do not have the concept of GT Comm right, I do not have it installed right, or something else hooey is going on.

I have GT Forum attached to GT Comm. Seems to run fine... I can log in, it keeps my log in, etc. Then, as a test, I added a new user from Forum. Well, the first thing was it took all the info into Forum, not to a GT Comm page (is this right, or do I need to mod all my links to register here to point to an address in GT Comm?)

Once registered--- and validated--- the new userwas in the Forum Database of users but NOT in GT Comm...

Where have I failed? Unsure
dave

Big Cartoon DataBase
Big Comic Book DataBase
Quote Reply
Re: [carfac] User Registered in Forum, but not in Comm In reply to
Stranger and stranger!

I figured that MAYBE I should not be having people log in, or register through Forum, so I changed the code to make it go to the log in and register at Comm. Worked ok, it seemed, until the user goes back to Forum- then they are not recognized. But on checking the database, they do get registered in the Forum User DB...

I am totally lost here now... it seems like they shhould register through Comm... so should I keep that linked? And why do users registerd that way no longer stay logged in? Crazy
dave

Big Cartoon DataBase
Big Comic Book DataBase
Quote Reply
Have you installed the 'Auth_Community' plugin for GForum?

Ivan
-----
Iyengar Yoga Resources / GT Plugins
Quote Reply
Re: [yogi] User Registered in Forum, but not in Comm In reply to
Yogi:

Sorry, I should have mentioned that. Yes, I did. That is the plug in in /comm/private/Plugins/GForum/Auth_Community.tar
dave

Big Cartoon DataBase
Big Comic Book DataBase
Quote Reply
So what can be the problem? Crazy
Max
The one with Mac OS X Server 10.4 :)
Quote Reply
Re: [maxpico] User Registered in Forum, but not in Comm In reply to
I do not know. I still have not gotten it working. I am thinking I might just wipe the whole thing out, and reinstall fresh...
dave

Big Cartoon DataBase
Big Comic Book DataBase
Quote Reply
OK, I WIPED the whole damn thing off the disk and reinstalled. Imported the Links users- no problem. Set up the two programs (Links and Forum) no problem. From Links- which operates under mod_perl, btw- I was able to install the plug-in- no problem. I restarted Apache, just in case!

Then I added a new user, got validated and all looked good. But when I went to the Links install, I am not logged in (still!) I tried to rate a link (which you must be registered to do!) and it sends me back to Comm... but the user page (showing I am logged in there), not the log in page.

So, I am logged in in Comm, but not Links.
dave

Big Cartoon DataBase
Big Comic Book DataBase
Quote Reply
and you have enabled the user for the Links application in you community admin area?

Ivan
-----
Quote Reply
Yogi:

I did a blanket "update comm_users set Forum = '2'" from SQLMon, so, yes, I did do that.

I THINK I have the problem nailed down... I hope. Seems I had all my scripts for loading Forum into mod_perl mixed up- Alex helped me get that going last night, so Forum is now REALLY in mod_perl. I did another install of Comm, and it was working fine for Links, but not Forum. Turns out I have Forum in a bad place, in the root directory rather than it's own subdirectory. So I will spend today moving Forum to a subdirectory, and re-try again. I will post later today on the outcome!

Thanks for the advice!
dave

Big Cartoon DataBase
Big Comic Book DataBase
Quote Reply
I would recommend keeping the apps and Community out of mod_perl while this is betaing. It will save a lot of hair pulling. =)

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] User Registered in Forum, but not in Comm In reply to
Alex:

Yes... it would! I think that is probably the root of my problems.

I am moving the forum install into a new directory now, and having a hard time of it... I will get it up, though!

dave
dave

Big Cartoon DataBase
Big Comic Book DataBase
Quote Reply
You need to insert the GForum UserID into the Community User record. When I add the userID all of a sudden the users are enabled in the GFORUM

I'm trying to come up with the SQL statement to do that...

I guess it will have to be a short script, since:

Quote:

Starting with MySQL Version 4.0.4, you can also perform UPDATE operations that cover multiple tables: UPDATE items,month SET items.price=month.priceWHERE items.id=month.id;

PUGDOG� Enterprises, Inc.

The best way to contact me is to NOT use Email.
Please leave a PM here.

Last edited by:

pugdog: Feb 7, 2003, 12:31 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [pugdog] User Registered in Forum, but not in Comm In reply to
It wasn't easy.... major kludge, and root access required....

but I got the ID's in, and it seems to be working.

(is there a way to override the prefix on tables when making a $db->table(tablename) call??)

In order for the autocreate to work, it seems that the forum_id field has to be NULL.

It also seems that the Forum field also has to be '2' which is 'Enabled'

Please leave a PM here.
Quote Reply
Pugdog:

First off, THANKS! I thought I was goiung crazy here for a while, the ONLY person that was having problems with GForum!

I am unclear... you said:

Quote:

You need to insert the GForum UserID into the Community User record. When I add the userID all of a sudden the users are enabled in the GFORUM

I looked in comm_users, I am not sure what field name needs to be updated. There is comm_id, but that is for comm. Do I need to add a forum_id field? (Or is this field added when the Forum plug-in is activated, and I do not have that active right now...)

OK, once I get that field added, what do I make it equal to? Table Forum_User field user_id, or table comm_user field user_id... or a unique new number?

Finaly, in your post two up, I think your quote is missing- that might have saved me asking all these questions!

Thanks for your help Pugdog!
dave

Big Cartoon DataBase
Big Comic Book DataBase
Quote Reply
>> Do I need to add a forum_id field? (Or is this field added when the Forum plug-in is activated,
>> and I do not have that active right now...)

Ok, when you add a Gforum, there are two fields added to the User records, (one for Links). I guess the GForum needs your ID, in case you change your name.

You have a Gforum field, and Gforum_ID field (*do* use a prefix if you plan on more than one!)

In the GForum (lets call it the "plugin" field) --

2 = "Enabled"

The GForum_ID field starts off as "NULL"

IF that field is NULL, and you set the GForum plugin field to 2, the user will be auto create when the user tries to enter the forum. If you have anything but NULL in that field, you will not be able to log in, unless it's your correct ID.

I *believe* new users are automatically set to "Enabled" based on setup criteria.

So......

What I did.

1) Made a copy of my comm_users database tables, as links_prefix_comm_users
2) copied the comm_users.def file to the Links/admin/defs area, with the correct prefix
3) Set the GForum_plugin field to 2
4) Set the GForum_ID field to "NULL"
5) Exported from my Gforum users file ID,Username into a file (it's Tab delimited by default in the admin)
6) wrote a short script that would take the Username, match it to comm_username and then update the Gforum_ID field with the Gforum ID number
7) renamed my old comm_users file to comm_users_old, and renamed prefix_comm_users to comm_users

And things seemed to work (the wonders of MySQL <G>

This would be impossible with any of the other databases, without starting/stopping it (MySQL closes tables, etc when you request table functions like rename...., ) You will get a few broken pages on users who are trying to use your system between renames, but that's life.

You need root access to do this, or you can use MySQL man and export the comm_users table, import it back into a new table, then use "rename" from the MySQL command bar to rename the files as above.

Alex may have more details on this, but it seemed to work, took a lot of playing to make sure that this seems to be what is going on.

Please leave a PM here.
Quote Reply
Pugdog:

Thanks a MILLION! I will give this a shot tomorrow, when I am more awake...
dave

Big Cartoon DataBase
Big Comic Book DataBase
Quote Reply
Pugdog:

Well, THERE is my problem! When I add a new forum install to Comm, it adds only the app_Forum field to comm_users... no app_forum_id field!

I just added a new forum to comm with a distint name of 11_forum (just so it would be REALLY easy to see if it added new fields to the table...). Well, I DO have app_11_forum- which is the field to hold the "2" for enabled. but NO OTHER FIELD with any sort of "11" in it! (I would expect something like "app_11_forum_id", I would think...)

Would any kind soul out there mind posting all the particulars on the "fourum_id" field, so I can get one entered into comm_users the right way?
dave

Big Cartoon DataBase
Big Comic Book DataBase
Quote Reply
This is a bug, see
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/...rum.cgi?post=229255;

Ivan
-----
Quote Reply
Yogi:

Thank you for that! As you might exppect, that did the trick, at least this far. Now I will go through Pugdogs suggestions, and see if I can't get this puppy up!

Thanks! Smile
dave

Big Cartoon DataBase
Big Comic Book DataBase
Quote Reply
Boy, I do NOT know why this is so difficult for me!

OK, I did Yogi's fix. I was going to start Pugdogs fix, when I decided to just fix one user (Me!) and see if that worked. So, I fixed me (Forum_id='1'), and tried to log in...

Now, it does not recognize my password! I had it send me a NEW passowrd, and it would not accept that one, either!~

What to do now?
dave

Big Cartoon DataBase
Big Comic Book DataBase
Quote Reply
Pudgod:

I wiped out all the users, and re-imported again. When you get to the point where you choose which fields to match up with fields in GTComm, I just matched up user_id from Forum to app_Forum_user_id in GTComm... assuming you import Forum users first... (because if you have duplicate usernames, and you import Links first, they would not be imnported...)

That does the same thing, easier, right?

Also, I made "2" the default for the app_Links and app_Forum fields, that save a bit of time, too...
dave

Big Cartoon DataBase
Big Comic Book DataBase
Quote Reply
Well, it looks to be working!

Just one more question...

In my tests, I poped in a new user. In the field "Forum" which should be a '2' to "enable", it came out a "1"- how do I make that automatically a "2"?

Or, why does it not update to a "2" when the user validates?

Thanks!
dave

Big Cartoon DataBase
Big Comic Book DataBase
Quote Reply
Glad you got it running ;) Easier than I did <G>

I'm not sure why/what you have to do to get the user automatically enabled to use the forums.

If you manually edit the user, and set them to 'enabled' they should slide in like a geased pig at a prom.

Please leave a PM here.
Quote Reply
Well, what I did (shhh, don't tell Alex!) I just edited one of the .pm files that validates the user when they click on the link from the e-mail.... and I had that do an "update {Forum => '2'} kind of thing. Works!
dave

Big Cartoon DataBase
Big Comic Book DataBase