Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Others : Gossamer Community :

What's installing this going to do to me?

Quote Reply
What's installing this going to do to me?
The description for this really makes me unsure exactly what it "takes over" ...

I have modified some things like user profiles on my Gforum installation, and the community package suggest that it also handles profiles... Is the community going to in any way alter my users profiles or create multiple profiles for users (one for community and one for gforum), or will it use what gforum has? Just a bit confused. :) I get the impression that I should have installed this prior to the forum, however I'm considering putting glinks on my site and the single login is clearly something that would be nice... Is there any issues when adding community (or glinks for that matter) to an exsisting gforum site? The site is new, and if I have to screw it up the time is now, however I'd really rather not loose any work I've already put into customizing my forum installation if I dont have to. Wink

[/confusion] Crazy

------

There are 10 types of people in the world... those who understand binary and those who don't.
Quote Reply
Re: [Nate_1979] What's installing this going to do to me? In reply to
Hmmmmm

it's a bunch of yes's and no's.

I haven't had time to work with the new features much, but your community profile is different from the individual program profiles.

If you have Glinks and Gforum running, you install a plugin on those packages that overrides the login/authentication/sessions codes and sends the user to Gcommunity to log on. Once logged on, you *should* be logged on to any program running under that community.

But, if a user uses the profile or update systems within the individual programs, community is not triggered.

GLinks still loads the Users table data to see what is going on, *not* the GCOMM data tables.

The profile information in your community site is a separate entity.

One day, we are hoping it will all be centralized, truly centralized, with gcomm_ profiles and user data, as well as the local program's own profile and data. Your settings will determine which and how the various data is used.

PUGDOG� Enterprises, Inc.

The best way to contact me is to NOT use Email.
Please leave a PM here.
Quote Reply
Re: [Nate_1979] What's installing this going to do to me? In reply to
Hi,

Community has it's own profile, however is is a user profile for user registration, and not publicly visible like the forum profile. So you will end up with two profiles, however since they serve different purposes (one being your sitewide user information like name/email/address, and the other being forum specific and forum persona), they don't conflict much.

I would install Community first, and get the look and feel working the way you want. Once you are happy with that, then shut down the forum, add the forum application to Community, then install the Auth_Community plugin to the forum, and finally import the forum users into Community.

Once that is done, you can add Links and other products quite easily.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.