Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Others : Gossamer Community :

import user from gmail creates username..

Quote Reply
import user from gmail creates username..
Greetings,

import user from gmail creates a username that is too many characters? Is anyone else importing users from a gmail db and getting user names that are the entire email address? Is this what is supposed to happen?

Bob

.:SEAWEAD:.
Quote Reply
Re: [baidarkabob] import user from gmail creates username.. In reply to
Hi,

Yes, if you are importing from GMail, the username must be their entire email address (as you could have jon@domain1.com and jon@domain2.com, so you can't import their username as jon).

I'll look at upping the username length to accomodate emails as a username.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] import user from gmail creates username.. In reply to
Alex,

I can see why username=email address is necessary, but 15 characters is going to be too short for a lot of our email addresses.

Also, it seems a little confusing that you can sign up for a site running gmail, gforum, etc. through community - where you may chose to create an email address - but your username will not be an email address unless you were a gmail user prior to community?..

wow, isn't that confusing?

Thanks for working so hard on this Alex.

bob

Quote Reply
That's why I think that adding a function to change usernames might be useful.

Through a plugin, you could then force your users to select a username different from their email address.

Ivan
-----
Iyengar Yoga Resources / GT Plugins
Quote Reply
Re: [yogi] import user from gmail creates username.. In reply to
So many things to remember... This is kind of a tough nut. I think it would be best if the username was not the email address, but the username shoud be the same for email as it is for community. I know this would be very difficult to integrate into an existing db but an option for this path on clean installs of the GT bundle would be nice for those who could go that route.

Yogi, are you suggesting a plug-in that would make the above an admin option?

Bob

Quote Reply
Hi,

On a clean install, the user picks what they want their email address to be in Gossamer Mail, and are not forced to accept Community Username == Gossamer MAil email address. They can pick something different.

On an import it gets more tricky. I am going to increase the username length limit to accomodate people who want their email address to be a username, as well as people who are importing from Gossamer Mail.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] import user from gmail creates username.. In reply to
How about just picking off the username part of username@domain.com on an import? I'm guessing that Gcomm will need to save the domain part then as wll, no?
Michael Coyne
seaturtle.org