Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Others : Gossamer Community :

importing users

Quote Reply
importing users
First of all: Congratulations!! From what I've seen so far, it really looks good.

A few things (one bug and one stupid question):

1. when importing users from Links SQL, it says "Importing users from DBMan SQL Product".

2. I imported all my LSQL and GForum users, and they now show up as "Links Status => not created" and "Forum Status => not created". How do I now set Links and of GForum to recognize that the user is logged in through community?

Ivan
-----
Iyengar Yoga Resources / GT Plugins
Quote Reply
Re: [yogi] importing users In reply to
2. OK, I found the plugins....

Ivan
-----
Quote Reply
What's that?? I log into the admin panel, and I try to import users from Gforum and LinksSQL... I give the correct path and click import. I see a text file displaying a community page in clear text!
Max
The one with Mac OS X Server 10.4 :)
Quote Reply
Re: [maxpico] importing users In reply to
OK I changed browser and now it displays the page correctly. It's an XHTML problem
Max
Quote Reply
Yogi wich field have you imported for Gforum and LinkSQL?
The two text boxes should match but the fields are different from Community and others GT products (not only app specific fields but also common ones like Name Real Name etc)....
I succedeed in importing 5 users out of 6 for Gforum but for LinksSQL Community failed to import 230 users. But I have 230 links not users in links....
Max
Quote Reply
I just took the default selection of fields.

Ivan
-----
Quote Reply
So you just specified the path to the GT app said import, import again and that's all?
I recieve a JS warning at the second stage If I want to import strictly the data. It says that the two text boxes from and to must match.....
Max
Quote Reply
In Reply To:
First of all: Congratulations!! From what I've seen so far, it really looks good.

A few things (one bug and one stupid question):

1. when importing users from Links SQL, it says "Importing users from DBMan SQL Product".

2. I imported all my LSQL and GForum users, and they now show up as "Links Status => not created" and "Forum Status => not created". How do I now set Links and of GForum to recognize that the user is logged in through community?

There is still some work to be done on the import. We'll need to make options on whether to enable or disable each application when importing.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] importing users In reply to
Yesterday, I succeed in importing users using IE, but today I am working on Mozilla/Phoenix/Galeon and the second page of importing users (where you have to select the fields), shows up as plain text, not HTML. Might be a missing header somewhere...

Ivan
-----
Quote Reply
That's what I said in my previous post...
Max
Quote Reply
Hi Alex!

Looks great. My congratulations, phooh what a challenge!

But I too have the same problem.

In the Links there was one test user. In Links there is no seperation of first name and the last name. So it has added the Username in to the First name. The old Full Name is entered into the the last name.

Hence there is really no control of left and the right i.e. from and to in the area of import.

I was wondering how it could be done. Truely difficult. May be what if:

there are two steps, the first being to identify which are the fields in the comm table that can be used and the second step where one has to provide creation of the new fields and they will be used to import for sure.

If this is the case, then the field data would not enter into any other field.

Also, after importing one sucessful user from Links SQL, I tried to import GMail. This did not work. It says that the from and the to must match. I clicked all from and all to and then import. Thereafter the same problem.

Even selecting only some columns and having left and the right exactly the same, it did not work and I got confused. With Forum, its the same problem.

I did register all the three application and the three key words are being shown in the import fields. It seems that I am missing something.

What I am curious to know is - Should the old table in the application needs to be or can be deleted? If yes, what would happen to all the application related fields that did not go into the comm table?

Last edited by:

dearnet: Jan 21, 2003, 9:21 AM
Quote Reply
Oops! Sorry, this was a mistake.

It did not import one user from the Links correctly.

I checked the Modify a user function and found out that instaed of a HE the import has made a SHETongue! There were many fields with a dash - but the necessary ones did contain the data, like Email. But in the comm Modify user, it shows a dash in the Email address.

The age was never in the original field. But now the user has been "htt" old shown in the profile! This htt does not exists in the original table field. It seems to be some kinda default.

So the fields did not get imported in the correct sequence.

Last edited by:

dearnet: Jan 21, 2003, 9:32 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [dearnet] importing users In reply to
So have you solved in part?
How? That's a big problem...
Max
Quote Reply
In Reply To:
So have you solved in part?
How? That's a big problem...

Hi there!

Sorry, I have problems to follow you?

If you mean the installation, it went sooooo good and easy. The only problem was the fields import. As Alex said, there needs to be more work done, I thought it would be most important to inform the difficulties.

Do you have problems? It would be interesting to share and exchange. BTW, I read the browser problem. For your information, Alex loves explorer and so the best is to use it also.

If you mean parts that I could import Links, NO, I could solve it only in a bad way.

What really happened is that, I beleive, that the first import of a application would go through correct, with some basic problems. The big problem may start with the second application. Since the second time the community table will be once again put to comparision for the import, it would be a big conflict to ressolve as to how to get the second application fields match with the comms and import them too. The most complicated task would be then the third.

The GT application has different field names, values and field properties and thats the problem.

I suggested Alex to bring out a new version of each application first as a conversion "BEFORE" going to the comms concept. By this way, of converting the application first into a modified tables would not destroy anything i.e. data. With this step, some of the fields will be shifted into different tables. Then remains in the user tables only those fields that are set. They willl all be the same in each application, which is also what is happening finally.

In my suggestion of doing a pre-screening is to have some fields in thee applications itself. What is happening is that many fields that should belong to one specific application gets in to the comms table, thereby increasing the fields data.

Comm table needs to actually have only universal values or fields that are not specific JUST for a one application. Hence preferences of one particular application needs to go into the table application_prefs for each one. Like Forum prefs and Gmail prefs are coming into the comms, that could be avoided.

It is possible that I am making a mistake or not following something.

Last edited by:

dearnet: Jan 21, 2003, 12:16 PM
Quote Reply
Thanks for the feedback everyone. We are busy making a lot of improvements to the import to tighten it up.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Hi Alex!

What do you think of a pre-screening idea what I wrote above?

I really liked your new work on the community. I beleive that it would also go beyond handling just GT sessions. Great!!!
Quote Reply
Hi,

I imported the users from Linksql without any problem using the default options.

Now I have the users email-address in the community-field 'Last Name'.

To be sure, is this the right result of the import procedure?

Michael

--
Michael Skaide

http://www.cycle24.de