Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Others : Gossamer Community :

multiple domains/sub domains login problem

Quote Reply
multiple domains/sub domains login problem
Hi,

I just started to play around with GC and ran into the problem, that you can only use GM as remote installation. So I setup a sub.domain.com for LinksSQL and add the Authentication Plugin to the LinksSQL with users automatically allowed to this installation. The Login link leads to GC which is www.domain.com and I can login but the user is not recognized by LinksSQL... :-( I guess there is a Cookie problem but I see no mistake. Does anyone know, if I can use LinksSQL as a remote installation - otherdomain.com - or are there security reasons not do use it that way. I am still a little confused but like the basic idea of the script very much.

Regards

Niko
Quote Reply
Re: [el noe] multiple domains/sub domains login problem In reply to
The remote domains thing is a chicken and an egg problem.

In order for a cookie to be set by the domain, the user has to go to that domain and log in.

I've thought about back-end processing, and such, with perl/cgi scripts, but the song/dance gets pretty complicated. Cookies were meant to PREVENT exactly what Community is trying to do -- share data between websites.

A user may have to log on to each website at least once, to generate a security string, which can be compared to their Community string when the user visits a new site. The script will have to ask for a password now and again to validate the users identity, but the information in the user account could be pulled from Community, once this verification is made.

So, Community may not do all things magically, but it will allow a central information repository once users are validated/verified on each site.

It seems very simple on the surface -- and it is. The problem is that cookies block -- by design -- the exact features you want to enable to allow universal logons. So, the implemenation is far from simple.

PUGDOG� Enterprises, Inc.

The best way to contact me is to NOT use Email.
Please leave a PM here.
Quote Reply
Re: [pugdog] multiple domains/sub domains login problem In reply to
Hi Pugdog,

thank you for your reply and information. I am very curiously awaiting the final version.

Regards

Niko