Home : Products : Others : Gossamer Community :

restrict access with community

(Page 2 of 2)
> >
Quote Reply
Re: [webmaster33] restrict access with community In reply to
lol I like this bit:

Quote:
Your suggested rewrite rule is really great if we use Apache.

Quote:
the solution is to use method 3) with SSI (as long the webserver supports SSI and has enabled).
Quote Reply
Re: [Paul] restrict access with community In reply to
Well, IIS supports SSI.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] restrict access with community In reply to
As it does with rewrites :)
Quote Reply
Well, by default IIS does not support Rewrite engine!

Best regards,
Webmaster33

Paid Support
from Webmaster33. Expert in Perl programming & Gossamer Threads applications. (click here for prices)
Webmaster33's products (upd.2004.09.26) | Private message | Contact me | Was my post helpful? Donate my help...
Quote Reply
In Reply To:
Well, by default IIS does not support Rewrite engine!
Well, by default Windoze doesn't install Web server software at all! Wink

Authentication is just one of those areas where it isn't possible to cater for every browser/server setup. Someone somewhere is going to need to install/upgrade something to be able to use it.

Any half decent host that doesn't support .htaccess authentication is going to have an alternative available though.
Quote Reply
Re: [wysardry] restrict access with community In reply to
Quote:
Well, by default Windoze doesn't install Web server software at all!

It does if you count PWS (aka POS), and it does if you install .NET :)
Quote Reply
In Reply To:
It does if you count PWS (aka POS), and it does if you install .NET :)
Both of those require you to change the default settings before they are installed.

i.e. You have to tick/check a box that is normally empty during a standard/default/recommended installation, or pick a custom or full installation.

I'm not even sure that a full installation adds server software (even though it is on the CD). Even if it does, a full installation is not the default setting. Smile
Quote Reply
Re: [wysardry] restrict access with community In reply to
Quote:
Well, by default Windoze doesn't install Web server software at all!
Uh, that comparison is bad & misses the point.
Win & Linux are OS, IIS & Apache are webservers... Compare similar items otherwise the comparison is bad.

Compare to Apache, which has Rewrite implemented by default, and depends on config if you use it or not.
IIS has not Rewrite rule implemented by default.

Best regards,
Webmaster33

Paid Support
from Webmaster33. Expert in Perl programming & Gossamer Threads applications. (click here for prices)
Webmaster33's products (upd.2004.09.26) | Private message | Contact me | Was my post helpful? Donate my help...
Quote Reply
Hi,

I think the bottom line here is that GT and Alex are looking at ways to cover both the Windows world as well as the Penguin planet.

So whatever options they offer will have flex to apply in both worlds. Of course doing this can make things harder for them and may require that the program be more simple in application.

That is OK...If I need more than the basic program that is what custom work is for.

Cool

Just my opinion...

Brian
Quote Reply
Re: [Teambldr] restrict access with community In reply to
Yes, I aggree.

Best regards,
Webmaster33

Paid Support
> >