Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Others : Gossamer Community :

same server different domains

Quote Reply
same server different domains
Hi,

I have almost no experience with GC and hope that somebody might give me a hint on how to get this running for there should be no security risk with cookies. I want to run several copies of linkssql under different domains with one login on one server. I did not succeed so far. It would be nice if anyone could help. BTW as so many do I am also anxiously waiting for the final but I think it always was worth waiting when GT looked forward to publish another great product. At least we have some present to wait and to sweeten our time after christmas Smile

Regards

Niko
Quote Reply
Re: [el noe] same server different domains In reply to
Hi.

Cookies work by domain, not physical server.

They were designed to work in a virtual hosting environment.

While it would seem possible to get around this, it's not.

There might be a "special" case for physical servers, where once you log on, a page on each server is triggered to "push" or "pull" you a page with a cookie from each registered domain name, where your session ID has been set in each server by a back-end script.

To figure out why it WON'T work, do some net searching on "cookies", "Security" and "Privacy".

PUGDOG� Enterprises, Inc.

The best way to contact me is to NOT use Email.
Please leave a PM here.
Quote Reply
Re: [pugdog] same server different domains In reply to
Hi pugdog,

thank you for your reply. I am aware of the cookie problem and so I am just looking for the possibility that a user logs in with his same username and password on different domains. E.g. the same solution would be if I copied the users from one lsql_Users to another.

Regards

Niko
Quote Reply
Re: [el noe] same server different domains In reply to
I understand.

I had this built for version 1.1x, but with 2.0 a change prevented using external databases. I never tried to build this back in. Something about the new init system prevented this (or my solution as it was then) from working with the new release.

Basically, I changed the Users table to another domain, and all look ups for the User went there. In 1.1x it was fairly simple. But, having one Users table, meant that no one could log into any of my links domains with the same username -- only one such name allowed.

This worked, because I had all the domains running off the same copy of MySQL, so sharing tables/databases was not an issue.

I kept track of which domain they originally logged in on by adding the domain name to the user record.

They could log in on any site, since the look up went to the same shared Users table -- but nothing was "automatic".

The only way I could see this even attempting to work now, is to use a script that asks all the questions needed for every site, then inserting the UserID/etc into each each user table using basic DBI calls. The user would then have the same name/pw on all sites, but there would be no automatic communication between them -- ie: if he changed a PW on one site, no other site would be changed.

PUGDOG� Enterprises, Inc.

The best way to contact me is to NOT use Email.
Please leave a PM here.
Quote Reply
Re: [pugdog] same server different domains In reply to
Hi pugdog,

Thank you for your time and effort. Looks like there is no easy way to do it ... maybe GT will surprise us with the final.

Regards and a Happy New Year

Niko