Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Others : MySQLMan :

Creating A Search Page

Quote Reply
Creating A Search Page
i've installed mysqlman and it appears to be working fine with the autologon feature enabled. now, i would like to create a search page for my web site so users can search a table in the database i have created.

i do not want logins or any doorways in ... i just want to be able to have users fill in a query field and search the database.

is there an example of how to create such page somewhere that i can learn from? can someone tell me what to do?

thanks
Quote Reply
Re: [xirocco] Creating A Search Page In reply to
Hi,

MySQLMan is probably not the best tool, as if you let people do a search via MySQLMan, they would also be able to perform any action that login has (delete, drop, etc). You may want to look at DBMan SQL, or a custom application.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] Creating A Search Page In reply to
if i am reading the web gossamer-threads web site properly it appears as though i have to pay for db man sql before i can try it. i am only accessing a small database (one table) and do not have the financial resources to pay out before i try. i know this is a pain ... but it is what it is.

is there an easier way to create a simple query page? all i want is a single search field where people can input a search string and get results from the database. i do not want them to have to log in ... etc.

thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: [xirocco] Creating A Search Page In reply to
Just write a simple program to connect to a database and retrieve a set of results from a database.

If you're not familiar with any web~ish programming language then your best bet would be to try a PHP solution. Pop over and ask your question in the Perl/CGI forum and I'm sure someone will be able to put you on the right track.

- wil